Washing your car

Discussion in 'Autos' started by Millz, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

How often do you wash your car? Do you do it yourself or send it through a car wash?

I tend to be lazy and not care so I dont wash it regularly. I just did today so that's why I ask haha. I dont think I had done it for quite a long time. Several months, in fact.

A couple times I saw some school kids holding a car wash for like 5 bucks so I've used that a couple times as well.

2. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I rarely wash my car. I probably washed it myself over 2 years a go, but when my parents wash their cars, they generally do mine and my sisters too. If that didn't happen i'd probably just take it through a car wash, or let it get dirty and the rain wash it off. Besides, when I wash it you can see all the scratches and dents, so it's better dirty.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

deja vu :D

Do it myself. I always wash my car at the same time as my dad does his, because it takes ages to get all the equipment out. And when I say it takes ages, I mean it doesn't take very long at all but I'm lazy.

The last time I did it was probably Summer '09.

I loved going through the big machine car washes as a kid. Huge urge to open the window...

4. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Good point about the stratches haha...I found some that I didn't know I had before. I know I should clean it more but I dont see the point.

My Dad gives me shit for it all the time because he's always cleaning his. I always told him, hey, the rain will clean it off. Then his rebuttal is that you dont go into the shower and just sit there and let the water get rid of the dirt...its the same with a car.

I guess he makes a good point. :hmm:

Rebeccaaa likes this.
  5. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

I don't have a car, but I help my dad wash his and will do it for him. I be sure to do it right too (rinse, THEN lather, and rinse again!).

Let me explain a story with that.

I go to a tech school and my shop is Automotive tech. One of the first things my teacher did was teach us how to wash his car. So, he went off roading one time. He brought his car into school the next day and asked a kid to wash it off. He didn't pre rinse. So he goes with the soap and sponge, and washes the car as such. He puts dozens of scratches into the car. Oh, boy the teacher was pissed! thankfully, the paintshop next door repainted it for a minimal price.

6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I never wash the outside of my car. Not that Im lazy it just never bothers me, it is silver so the dirt does not show up too bad. The roads around here are kind of muddy and wet at the best of times so as soon as you drive anywhere it would just need doing again, so why bother (plus it adds an extra protective layer). One of the delivery drivers asked to borrow the pressure wash to do his van, as a thank you he did my car, tbh I could not notice the difference between 3 years of dirt and freshly washed. My advice is buy a silver car.

:lol:Thats not teaching. Its called utilising your resources (aka taking advantage of kids).

7. Sigurd

Sigurd Internet Dig Dug

I can't remember the last time we washed the car up here, then again it just turned summer here and we don't wash the car during winter since it is too cold. But when we do we just typically bring it to a car wash machine as I am too lazy to wash it.

8. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

HEY! YOU CAUGHT THE JOKE! GOOD FOR YOU

No, he just used his car as an example of washing your car. Needless to say, I've never made that mistake. Our shop does that all the time. We charge cheap to have people bring their cars in because they are used to teach. That includes my teachers cars. We've changed its oil, coolant, did inspections on it, etc...

Our teacher was telling us previously of how some people use gasoline as cleaner, normally for small stuff like drill bits and small parts like that. Well, he told us of how one guy he knew used it to clean a car, and it not only stripped off the protective coating, someone walking by created a spark and nearly set the whole thing on fire. Their are some really stupid people out their.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  9. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I used to wash my car once a week... Every weekend I would do it myself. Well, at least while it was warm out. Since I was in an accident, I have had no interest in washing it.. I figure it looks like hell anyway, so why shine it up and make the damage look that much worse.

It I was doing something really important, I would go to Flagstop or Carpool. They are super expensive detailers, but they really get the job done.

I think when I get my new car, I will be back to washing it every weekend.

10. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I rarely do it because I am way to lazy, but if I do then I just go to a self serve car wash and do it there since it's much more convenient.

But this is definitely a small pet peeve of mine, I can't stand washing my vehicle.