Was The Rock overrated?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

We somewhat discuss this in the Best Wrestler of all time thread. So I decided to make a thread about, because I believe we can have great discussions about this.

So in your opinion, do you believe The Rock was overrated? Or he got all the credit he deserved?

Please explain your answer.

2. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I think the Rock was overrated in the ring but nothing about his mic ability, charisma or aura can be misunderstood as overrated.

I have had jokes with Kratz before and a couple of my other friends about how the Rock always won but it was never a technical masterpiece or other little jabs at him. I won't sit here and try and take anything away from his career but in the ring I think he was just okay. Austin could wrestle circles around him...that's my opinion.

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

The Rock was decent in the ring, and what I liked most about his performances was that he would oversell everybody's moves. That, I consider to be good because it made the match that much better. Seeing a no-sold move causes me to cringe.

And as millz said, his charisma, mic skills, ect... All good.

No, I don't think he was overrated one bit. He deserves to be called one of the best.

4. reganbaby

reganbaby New Member

The Rock was part of the WWF attitude era. Like I said, it was a great time to be a wrestling fan. But it all went downhill after WCW was bought out, in my opinion.

I agree.

Did you see him in "Get Smart"? Does anyone else think this sucks? I mean... did the movie do very well?

5. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I actually hated the overselling...it made things look extremely fake. There's a fine line from making it look real by selling and making it look almost fake by overselling.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

See a lot of people that I talked to believe The Rock was a much better wrestler in the ring then Austin. I personally disagree with them. But I always thought he was a good wrestler. He had more then five moves in the ring, he never looked lost and he was able to carry a match with anyone.

I wouldn't say he was able to do anything in that ring, but overall he was great. The Rock Bottom was a good finisher, his spinebuster was perfectly done and so was the Samoan Drop. He also had a great closeline.

So I personally never thought he was overrated in the ring.