Was Ryan Howard Cheated?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by blenderboy55, Mar 3, 2007.

1. blenderboy55

blenderboy55 Guest

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16824723.htm

"Howard and the Phillies couldn't agree on a new contract, so the Phillies yesterday renewed him for one year at $900,000. It is a record for a player with one-plus seasons of major-league service time. It also equals the record-setting total for a player not eligible for salary arbitration. Albert Pujols received $900,000 from the St. Louis Cardinals in 2003, when he had two-plus years of service time.
    But is it enough to keep the National League MVP happy?
    Is it fair?"

Clearly a player who won the MVP and put up the numbers Howard did deserves a ton of cash, but here are a few things to note:

" Albert Pujols received $900,000 from the St. Louis Cardinals in 2003, when he had two-plus years of service time."

"It's important for people to understand that he's being paid more as a one-plus player than has ever been paid, who's not under a multiyear contract. That's very significant."

"New York Mets third baseman David Wright has two-plus years' service time. He signed a six-year, $55 million extension last season. But Howard certainly is looking for much more than that.
    The Phillies just signed Chase Utley to a seven-year, $85 million contract extension during his first year of arbitration eligibility. Close, who couldn't be reached to comment, recently told Baseball America that "I think it's safe to say that it will be a number that exceeds that."
    A smart bet? Howard wants to exceed Pujols' seven-year, $100 million extension."

As of right now, Howard is much better than Wright and Utley. Maybe one day he'll be better than Pujols. If he was eligible for FA, he'd get a ton of money. But obviously he's not, so the question stands:

Is his extension fair?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

No it's not because Howard is one of the best hitters in the game, he hits for power, and for average. He can get you 50+ home runs, 120+ rbi's and he hits 300 for average he does deserve way more then 900,000$ that's for sure.

Side Note: Howard won the MVP this season he didn't finish second in the MVP race.

3. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I think it's fair to the owners to not have to re-negotiate a contract in it's entirety while the player is still working under an existing contract.

Hoosier.

4. blenderboy55

blenderboy55 Guest

Oops. Thank you for the correction.

5. OldStyle

OldStyle Guest

Howard will get his money. Don't worry about it.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Exactly. After that contract expires he'll be one of the highest paid baseball players today. Especially if he has a better season this year. I am pretty sure he's not that ticked off.