• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Warren Buffett's billion dollar bet

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Warren Buffett is offering up $1 billion (yes, billion with a B) to anyone who fills out a perfect bracket for the upcoming NCAA Tournament.

Rick Reilly - Predict a perfect bracket and Warren Buffett will owe you at least $500 million - ESPN

Buffett's National Indemnity Company is taking the risk on the Quicken Loans Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge. If you win, you can take $25 million a year for 40 years or a $500 million check right away. But Buffett is betting you won't. He wrote the policy himself.
According to the article, the odds of filling out a perfect bracket for a skilled handicapper are about one billion to one. The odds for someone with no basketball knowledge are 9.2 quintillion to one.

He's not an idiot. It's extremely unlikely anyone will win this and he'll probably earn a big profit from Quicken Loans.

As much as I love college basketball and March Madness, I don't think it's even worth giving out my cell phone number to Quicken Loans to register for this thing.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'm not as big of a college basketball fan as I used to be but even if I were I doubt I would be willing to give out my cell number for stuff like this either. It sounds enticing, but the odds are heavily against anyone filling out the perfect bracket.

dDave

V.I.P.
I remember in 8th grade our history teacher gave us a bracket and told us to fill it out. Whoever guessed the most games correctly got a large chunk of extra credit.

Knowing next to nothing about college basketball, I won by a large margin (I think I guessed 5 games wrong in total). Everyone else in the class was upset with me :lol:.

This is actually a great business move by buffet. He's likely to not even have to pay the 1 billion and yet his company is getting a huge amount of publicity because of this.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Smart move by Buffet...nobody is going to win this challenge

I probably won't bother with it either

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know why anyone would even bother with this the odds of winning are so slim. However Buffet will get a lot of free publicity from it, smart move on his part.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Buffett's money is safe. There are no perfect brackets remaining, and the first round isn't even over yet.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I'm logged on now and there is one guy that still has a perfect bracket, Brad's Breathtaking Bracket unless the site has not updated?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The dude entered yahoo's challenge but not Buffet's challenge even though Buffet's is ran by yahoo.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nc...ains--with-a-catch-053219703.html?.tsrc=yahoo

That's nuts. It gets easier from here and he's over half way there. 32/63 picks. Can you imagine winning the yahoo challenge but not the Buffet challenge?
Of the millions who entered the much-publicized Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge, none made it through the Round of 64. But Brad's bracket in the regular Yahoo Sports' Tourney Pick'em pool – his bracket was not in the Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge – is still alive, and a close look reveals he could go all the way.

Last edited: