• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Warren Buffett to Match Republicans’ Tax Donations

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/01/warren-buffett-to-match-republicans-tax-donations/

As we know, Warren Buffett has called on the rich to pay more in taxes. And the GOP's response, as well as a few others on here, has been "What's stopping him from volunteering to pay more?"

Well, now Buffett has called out the GOP's bluff. He is willing to match, dollar-for-dollar, any donation by GOP Congressmen and Senators to the government to reduce the deficit. And he's willing to pay $3 for every dollar that Mitch McConnell donates.

I like this a lot, I doubt it's going to change the Republican's mind about the rich paying more taxes, but it should be interesting to see where it goes.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I doubt it's going to do much as well because most understand paying more in taxes does absolutely nothing. Cutting back the uncontrolled spending as well as less government interference in the market is the way to reduce the deficit and uplift our economy. This is just for show for those that don't understand to make those that don't call his bluff look bad.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Why match just GOP congressmen and senators? How about all of them? Despite whom is in favor of the rich paying more taxes. and whom is not, Reps are not more rich them Dems and therefore there are Dems that need to be matched too. It's about taxing, and deficits.

Wade8813

Registered Member
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/01/warren-buffett-to-match-republicans-tax-donations/

As we know, Warren Buffett has called on the rich to pay more in taxes. And the GOP's response, as well as a few others on here, has been "What's stopping him from volunteering to pay more?"

Well, now Buffett has called out the GOP's bluff. He is willing to match, dollar-for-dollar, any donation by GOP Congressmen and Senators to the government to reduce the deficit. And he's willing to pay $3 for every dollar that Mitch McConnell donates.

I like this a lot, I doubt it's going to change the Republican's mind about the rich paying more taxes, but it should be interesting to see where it goes.
This is interesting, but I kinda wonder if it will end up being more of a publicity move than anything.

I doubt it's going to do much as well because most understand paying more in taxes does absolutely nothing. Cutting back the uncontrolled spending as well as less government interference in the market is the way to reduce the deficit and uplift our economy. This is just for show for those that don't understand to make those that don't call his bluff look bad.
Raising taxes DOES matter. Just probably not enough. Although I also think you may be giving the Repubs (as a whole) more credit than they deserve.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Raising taxes DOES matter. Just probably not enough. Although I also think you may be giving the Repubs (as a whole) more credit than they deserve.
When it goes into more and more buyouts, and thus leaves less income to spend on consumer goods and services then it really doesn't.

And you're probably right, that's why I think just paying more taxes does nothing, they just want to pay less taxes for their own personal reasons.