• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Gym Warm Up Exercises

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have recently started going back to my gym after almost a five month absence due to health reasons that I needed to take care of before I could return, I am really enjoying it and am feeling the buzz I used to get from doing a really good work out and feeling like I have really worked hard.

One thing I am doing again is stomach crunches/sit-ups on a bench with the foothold thingies (I am not sure of the proper term so that will do), I started doing them on Monday and I came to do them yesterday afternoon and found my stomach was really tight and I won't deny it was a struggle, I know you shouldn't continue if something is painful but if I do that I will never do that work out to begin with.

What I need to know is what kind of warm up exercises is best for this kind of thing? I always do at least 30 minutes on a treadmill to get warmed up and get my energy levels going and I am fine when doing weights but the sit-up thing is hard but I know if I want to loose my beer gut I am going to have to do this. Any advice?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I have that problem sometimes. I also sometimes had issues with my hip flexor muscles. For me, stretching before hand was my best bet.

dDave

V.I.P.
Warm ups should under no circumstances include static stretching (that's for after your work out). What you need for a warm up is dynamic stretches. Basically these are stretches that get you moving. They'll help you get to a full range of motion before starting your workout (while still providing a stretch). They're also very effective for injury prevention.

Anyway, that's how I warm up. I can go into a lot more detail if necessary.

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
I've heard so many different things about stretching, I'm not sure what to believe (as far as the science). But I know that I often feel much better if I stretch first, even if it's static stretching.

Blueyes

Registered Member
Ya, I don't do any stretches until after my work out because that's when you're supposed to do them. Warming up can be anything from treadmill to simple steps on a box if you are in an aerobic class just to get the blood pumping before you start doing anything strenuous.

Shwa

V.I.P.
I would suggest a nice jog/run before stretching and exercising, it'll get all the muscles up and running and you don't even have to do it for long. A good 10 minutes or so would work fine, its what I do. But it's especially helpful if you run/jog on "leg day" to get everything limbered up for the work out ahead.

~Shwa