• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Warehouse blows up, 17 dead hundreds injured

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Massive explosions have hit China's northern port city of Tianjin, leaving at least 17 people dead and hundreds more injured.

State media said the blasts happened in a warehouse storing "dangerous and chemical goods" in the port area of the city.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-33896292

This is a real tragedy, they are claiming 400 injured and 17 deaths, from the looks of it I'll be surprised if there aren't more deaths. They compared the first explosion to detonating 3 tons of TNT and the second to 21 tons. There's like a hundred firetrucks on the scene.

I wish all the poor people caught up in it the best.

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's a short video of it , that was a major explosion, mushroom cloud and all.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Now there is more than 50 dead. They won't let the firefighters do anything because they are afraid the fumes will harm or kill them. They said on TV the explosion was so strong it registered as a earthquake and was felt for miles away. Wonder what kind of chemicals those were.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Chinese police confirmed for the first time the presence of deadly sodium cyanide at the site of the blast that killed 85 people, state media said, as a series of new, small explosions were heard and small fires broke out.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/15/us-china-blast-idUSKCN0QH2B220150815

They had to evacuate people from the school where they were taking shelter because of fear of toxic fumes. They were advised to wear pants and face masks. No kidding. They are still finding survivors in the ruble even with having more fires overnight. Wonder how many will die later on from breathing these fumes that we won't hear about.

I have a feeling someone will be executed because of this.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Yeah its been all over Xinhua and other papers claim there was 700 tonnes of sodium cyanide in the building. Btw the warehouse was owned by Tianjin Dongjiang Port Rui Hai International Logistics company Ltd.

President Xi Jinping is not happy and the State Council is having a tele-conference to work on plans to have mass inspections of all the businesses in China that handle dangerous chemicals and explosives. There have been other recent accidents in China but big surprise that they finally do something when it happens in Tianjin - one of the 5 seats of power of the People's Republic btw.

They called in sodium cyanide producers to deal with the issues and they are using hydrogen peroxide to reduce the amount of cyanide at the site. Bao Jingling (the chief engineer of the Municipal Bureau of Environmental Protection) claims that the cyanide in the waste water has been reduced form 10.9x normal to 2.1x normal and that Ammonia nitrogen has been reduced from 5.1x normal to 1.9x normal.

Also they shoulda evacuated the area when it happened and now some officials are even claiming there is no evacuation.
What I really dont get is why Gao Huaiyou claimed that the cyanide wasnt verified. But hey I dont think he can say that now.

Since it happened in Tianjin then yeah heads will probaly roll and especially since Xi Jinping is calling it "dereliction of duty". But I dont think he woulda cared that much if it didnt happen in one of the 5 seats of power.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't trust the Chinese to tell the truth when it comes to how much chemicals are still there. They often lie about pollution levels. You know they would lie about this like they are lying about evacuations. I guess having over a billion people makes some expendable.

They should have been having inspections before it came to this.

I've been hearing some US companies are really hurting because of this. Have you heard anything about that?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
From the looks of the damage I have to wonder if more people died than they are reporting. They are good at that. The Chinese government has shut down social media sites to keep the people from spreading 'rumors' or what they deem as rumors. They have lied so much to their people they don't believe anything they say and I don't blame them, I wouldn't.

http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-tonnes-cyanide-china-blasts-military-060926240.html

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I can't say I'd be surprised if that would be true, Hilander. Anyone can tell from seeing those explosions that more probably died - I hope I'm wrong. As long as the families of those lost are aware, I don't really care I suppose.