• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Warcraft Movie

dDave

V.I.P.
Blizzcon 2013 was interesting to say the least. Blizzard proudly announced their 5th expansion pack to World of Warcraft (haven't we had enough of those already? :lol:)

Now, I was always interested in Warcraft for the RTS aspect of it as well as the fantastic story. Now about that story, look what Blizzard announced today...

Warcraft Movie Will Include Iconic Game Characters, Locations - IGN

It's the first ever Warcraft movie. I imagine the whole thing will be done in super high quality cutscene style renders as this movie just wouldn't look right being acted on camera.

The film will be about the first contact between humans and orcs. I imagine that we'll see more films down the road (maybe even into the WarCraft III storyline) if this one is successful.

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Use to after a movie became really popular they would make a video game of it. Now it seems they are doing the reverse. Which some video game story lines are pretty good and very popular so I can understand why they would do that.

However for some reason I can't get into a movie that is made after a video game. Which I don't play many games so that might be why. I have to say that this one does sound like it would be good.

Last edited:

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
If the budget is good it will be a good movie probably. If they have an "In the Name of the King" style failure I will laugh pretty good (that's the dungeon siege movie). Since they have made a crap ton of money off of the Warcraft franchise they better be able to afford a spectacular budget.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I would love to see a Warcraft movie. I grew up playing Warcraft 3, Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne. Those games were a huge part of my childhood. And I also played WoW, up until Cataclysm. I think the visual style of WoW alone will make a great film.

dDave

V.I.P.
Yes, the visual style is one of the huge things that makes me like the franchise in the first place. I don't play WoW due to the addictive nature of the game and for money reasons, I really love the artwork for the game though, WarCraft III also featured some spectacular cutscenes.

Here's Arthas' Betrayal...
Warcraft III Reign of Chaos Cinematic 4: Arthas' Betrayal - YouTube

And then all WCIII RoC cutscenes if you really want to watch them.
Warcraft III ALL Cinematics (HQ remastered) - YouTube

^If the movie is done in that style then undoubtedly I'll like it for at least the visual aspect (though given those were made over 10 years ago the quality would be much higher)

I wonder if the movie will feature the Scourge or the Night Elves.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
That looks really interesting. It'll be interesting to see what they do with this film concept. It looks like something I could really love a lot if done in a high budget, epic sort of way. I know nothing about WarCraft or WoW. So from a story line and it's history, I'm not sure if I would get that into the story behind it all.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Colin Farrell Talks Warcraft Movie - IGN

Apparently the script for the movie is amazing.

I can't believe the movie is more than two years away though. December 18, 2015 is a long way off. Certainly WarCraft will still be relevant even then (at least I hope it is), but I actually sort of want to see this movie :lol:.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have not played Warcraft for any long period of time and I have not watched the trailers that have been posted in this thread to my opinion is purely based on what I have seen of video games becoming movies in the past and also my opinion of films over all.

The problem with movies becoming films over all is that very rarely to the makers and script writers consult with the games themselves and so die hard fans go in expecting one thing (which is fair enough) and they end up seeing something else (which again is no bad thing). The problem I think is that everyone has a different experience and a different opinion or how something should be done and you can't please everyone.

dDave

V.I.P.
I have not played Warcraft for any long period of time and I have not watched the trailers that have been posted in this thread to my opinion is purely based on what I have seen of video games becoming movies in the past and also my opinion of films over all.

The problem with movies becoming films over all is that very rarely to the makers and script writers consult with the games themselves and so die hard fans go in expecting one thing (which is fair enough) and they end up seeing something else (which again is no bad thing). The problem I think is that everyone has a different experience and a different opinion or how something should be done and you can't please everyone.
I would actually argue that if you make it so the die hard fans like the film then those that know nothing about the franchise and see it anyway won't actually feel one way or the other, how could they? WarCraft has an excellent storyline and I'm pretty sure this movie is going to portray the storyline that we all liked.

The film is being put out by universal, we'll have to see how it goes. I don't think any of us will really be able to make a proper judgment of this film until we actually go to see it or get a lot more information.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I would actually argue that if you make it so the die hard fans like the film then those that know nothing about the franchise and see it anyway won't actually feel one way or the other, how could they? WarCraft has an excellent storyline and I'm pretty sure this movie is going to portray the storyline that we all liked.
If the makers do it properly it could work, if they speak to the people who made the film and consult them there is no reason it could not work but doing that is CRUCIAL, two examples I can think of off the top of my head are Street Fighter: The Movie and Mortal Kombat. MK was not terrible but it was not good and SF was so horrible I watch it for laughs and wonder how on earth Capcom allowed that film to be released. They need to be careful and make sure it is done correctly. Fina Fantasy: The Spirits Within was not a horrible film but so many fans went in expecting a film about Final Fantasy it bombed out of existence.

The film is being put out by universal, we'll have to see how it goes. I don't think any of us will really be able to make a proper judgment of this film until we actually go to see it or get a lot more information.
I would agree and I find it hard not to judge a film I have not seen because of how something is advertised and the film buff and critic in me jumps in but that is just the way I am :D