War?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Oct 29, 2008.

?

Do you think war is ever justified?

1. Yes

80.0%
  2. No

20.0%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you think war is ever justified?

I was talking to somebody the other day who said that he thinks war is never justified for any reason, not even as an act of retaliation. It was an odd way to look at war and there really wasn't much sense in arguing.

That being said, do you think war is ever justified?

I'm going with yes. I think if things like the Holocaust can be stopped or prevented and it's within the UN or any given nation's power to do so, it's their responsibility to humanity to do what they can.

My thoughts on the Iraq war are mixed and I will not get into them at the moment, however I DO think that in general, war is definitely justified at times.

Sim likes this.

2. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I agree with you, war sometimes is the smaller evil and thus justified. The Holocaust is a good example, there was no way to end it, except war.

But on the other side, war is *always* evil. It always means the slaughter and mutilation of innocent people, war crimes and huge suffering. War can never be "good". It can only be the smaller evil.

That's why I think war should not be a normal means of politics, but the very last resort, which must only be used when all other options have failed.

When people glorify war, or are way too easily ready to go to war, that's a problem, IMHO, because that may cause wars too easily. When the people glorify war, it will be started not just as last resort.

For example, I don't agree with the Iraq war. Neither had other options failed already, nor were there good reasons for this war. But the US engagement in WW2, for example, was justified. The Afghanistan war too, IMO.

3. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I cant realy decide on a straight "yes" or "no".

I ask, If we can justify war in some instances can we justify not going to war in others?
    An example: when the UN rushed into the former Yugoslavia and used all force necessary to stablize the region, yet at the same time it gives little more than a token of good will to countries like Rwanda or West Timor.

Should the UK have gone to war against Argentina in the 80s, it was Argentina who invaded the Falklands a UK territory after all.... but then should the UK of gone steaming half-way around the world to retaliate. You have two armies liberating the same people...madness?....... or the US invasion of Grenada whats right and wrong whats just or not? whats the precident?

War should be a the last resort, it should be the last action considered but it should still be an action considred none the less. If that action is justified will depend on what moral standing you try and justify it on.

Sorry I have not answered your question at all!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  4. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I think something can easily be both justified and bad, so yes, war can be justified.

5. whateverdude_09

whateverdude_09 Registered Member

if war wasn't justified then Hitler would be running Europe and possibly more than that. and Al Queda (might be misspelled) would continue to blow stuff up and kill innocent Americans.

6. Psycho-Ginger

Psycho-Ginger Registered Member

War is always justified to the attacker it serves as means for expansion of territory, and means for technological advances. With no war there would be peace, and with peace there would be no advancement in technology.

Just think if there were peace through out all of the past then there would be no civilization today we would be friends with the dinosaurs and our main dialect would still be grunts and sighs of approval.

But for this war now is completley for the self protection of America. Because if we were to pull everyone out of the middle east now it would collapse and serve as a nuclear weapons farm.

there were no weapons in the middle east but if we leave now then there will be.

7. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I have to call bullshit on this one.

Whether or not an action is justified has little to no relevance to it being done. Also, Islamic extremists are quite justified in their bombing of Americans. You may not agree with them, but they have justification.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  8. whateverdude_09

whateverdude_09 Registered Member

what is their justification...that we don't worship like they do? that we are Americans and we do American things ranging from drinking and debauchery to letting our women walk around in bikini's and worshiping God?

9. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Yeah, I think it might have been something like that. Plus they don't like us being on their holy land and our unerring support of Israel.

Bananas likes this.
  10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I think war is ugly and bad, but sometimes you're left with no choice but between two uglies/evils and war seems to be the lesser one. It doesn't make it suddenly good for me. It's more a rationalization process where you try to justify the act of war, sometimes after the fact, by comparing the cost against the results and try to see the good side of it and downplay the bad side so we feel less guilty.