• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

War: A necessary evil?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
This will be the first, and perhaps the only thing I post in this forum.

Discuss the point in the title.

I may pop back to deliver my own views on the subject, but until then, please may you intelligent sorts that frequent this place, debate amongst yourselves -

War - Is this a necessary evil?

That's it.

Zenheizer

needs practice
Yes. I think it's necessary. Everyone's got beef, and through that beef we trade cultures, understandings and knowledge.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am not a fan of wars, never have been never will be, but to quote Eddie Izzard "the problem is there will always be organized bastards".

I understand and I get that sometimes going to war is the only thing that can be done to resolve a issue and I am fine with that as long as it is a last resort and the UN have agreed that it is required. The problem is when countries start to assume they have power and assume that they are in the right just because they think so. Now I am not picking on any country. It is true I was not and am not a fan of the Iraq War and I am not meaning to sound disrespectful of anyone who is serving over there, it's more the politicians I have a problem with.

So is war a necessary evil? If the situation is the correct one then yes, if it is for the wrong ones then no.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Yes and no.

I think that humans could easily not do the crap that makes us need to go to war. But since humans aren't going to stop doing it, war is necessary.

Sim

Registered Member
War is always evil and means death, mutilation and pain for innocent people.

Still it can sometimes be the lesser evil, but it remains an evil nevertheless. War means the death of innocents, and the only thing that can possibly justify killing people is saving the life of people. So if a particular war prevents mass murder or genocide, it may be justified.

But war should never the a normal tool of politics. Some people like to say "taxes are theft by the government" -- if that's true, then war is "murder by the government". War should not be the "continuation of politics by other means", as Clausewitz said. It should be the last resort, the very least option when all others have failed, and only in case when the lives of many people are on stake.

IMHO.

SlowburnDarkly

Registered Member
Some wars are necessary, yes. Most, however, are not. Basically, the way I see it, war is only necessary when words fail, and words do not often fail until unless we simply allow them to. America's current wars, or 'conflicts' seeing as Congress has not officially declared war, are unjustified. People on both sides are dying for nothing, all for the aforementioned political/national gain.

Should a country enter into war to defend itself or legitimately defend others? Absolutely, yes. But we haven't seen this from America in my lifetime.

mister_lister

I decide for myself when it is necessary to go to war. I have not rallied the troops or commited acts of violence since I was a child. When I was a child it was necessary to gather friends and go after a bullies that were destroying our forts and throwing rocks at us randomly.

As far as nation states go, the running theme is "Wealth Aquisition". Most of the wars we America has been involved in are either wars of ideas, which is completely ridiculous unless it is in pure self defense, or those of wealth aquistion. Look how roundly America prospered off of the WW2. If they had the option they would love a third world war. I believe that is under way ladies and germs!

Diederick

Registered Member
Yes and no.

I think that humans could easily not do the crap that makes us need to go to war. But since humans aren't going to stop doing it, war is necessary.
Excellent way of putting it. I completely agree.

Well, war might be the response to the plans of mass-sterilization I'm cooking up for about 6 billion of us, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. Once the planes have returned we just have to hide for a century and all problems of crazy religious people, Africa and other troublesome countries will be gone.

Before this masterplan, though, I can see why war has been essential. Before the incredible discoveries in science of the past decades and our impeccable discussion skills, fighting over it was an acceptable alternative. If countries were in a conflict, apparently, they thought it was an acceptable alternative. Sadly, the one who wins a war isn't always the one who was at the right end of the debate.

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I believe there are better ways to solve disputes than war. I don't believe in or condone war in any form.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I believe there are better ways to solve disputes than war. I don't believe in or condone war in any form.
Hitler's invading Poland. Diplomacy has been tried, and failed. What's your plan?

I honestly don't see any options other than war.