• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wanting to skate

Nosferatu_Alucard

Undead Intellectual
For those who skate, play hockey (bishop) or whatever on the ice, I need some advice.

I've always wanted to skate or play hockey, but I've never had the balls to go do it. Should I just rent some skates and learn on my own during free skate or get some lessons? Private or group? Plus I have problems with my feel that effect me running long distances so I'm guessing it will effect me on the ice. Actually, it does. I tried skating once, it was that hard, but my hurt like hell after a few minutes. I have get off the ice and wait five minutes for the pain to dissipate. Is it from the shitty rental skates? Would a good pair make a big difference? If I end up liking it a lot I'll eventually get a custom pair made for my feet because for regular walking I have a orthotics.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Well your taking advice from a guy that can't skate but I know so much about hockey so I can tell you that you should try and get somebody to teach you at first. It's harder to pick it up yourself but it don't have to be a big fancy coach just a friend or something and a rental pair of skates might not be the way to go. If your commited to learning to skate buy a new pair and keep the receit just in case.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Private lessons might actually get you to learn faster. After you get the basics, a group lesson will be more fun. IMO, learning on your own is pretty tough. It's harder than it looks that's for sure. Controlling speed, stopping, etc....it takes time to develop a feel, much like riding a bike. It takes a little bit before you can make sharp turns or jump gaps...

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you're really commited I believe you need to get a coach, he'll know what type of skates especially that you have foot problems. But if you just want to learn just so you know how to do it, then buy a pair of skates and just find the closest rink and practice on your own. It will be hard at first, but after a while you'll get used to it. Stopping will be the hardest to do, that will need more a little more practice.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I still can't stop without running into the wall. I have a good pair of skates and that makes a huge difference. you might want to try a used sporting goods store.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Or a friend who has a decent pair and don't mind letting you have them for a little while to get a feel for what they are like. Try not to get down hearted if it takes you awhile , It can take the best a long time to get good at it but if you keep up with it im sure you'll do fine.

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
The best way to learn to skate is to get out on the ice and understand that you're going to fall on your ass over and over again. Lessons or not, you're going to spend quite a bit of time with your butt on the ice. Trial and error is the best teacher.

Hoosier.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
The best way to learn to skate is to get out on the ice and understand that you're going to fall on your ass over and over again. Lessons or not, you're going to spend quite a bit of time with your butt on the ice. Trial and error is the best teacher.

Hoosier.
Yeah i never learned how to skate but I have gone out on the ice a few times. My ass was soar the next day. But you know what I didnt care because i went out with some friends and as long as your out with people your close with, it should be fun.

Granted when I fell I always tried to take the the girls down with me ;) .

Although one time when I fell the my friend adrienne collasped with me and her skate cut a good portion of the inside seam of my pants...

I got off the ice after that one lol.

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
The hardest part about falling on your ass when you're skating with girls is trying to do it gracefully. My father started my brother and myself in hockey when we were 6 and 7 respectively. So by the time I got to high school and was playing for the school team I was an expert skater. I got a job at Notre Dame's rink as an ice guard and I used to laugh my ass off at how some guys tried to look cool while falling on their asses.

Hoosier.