Wallace Misses Partner in Crime

K

Kidd

Ben Wallace might talk to Chauncey Billups or Lindsey Hunter more often. But if there's one Detroit Piston whom Wallace misses the most on a basketball level, it would be his namesake, Rasheed Wallace.

Long, athletic and a crafty help defender, Rasheed Wallace allowed Ben to do what he does best defensively—anticipate, roam the lane and use his agility to block shots and deflect balls.

Ben will see Rasheed on Saturday, when Detroit visits the United Center. On Wednesday, Ben addressed for the first time the dynamic of no longer having one Wallace watching the other Wallace's back.

"It's tough sometimes," he said. "I get a little out of place and turn around and see there's nobody there to protect the basket. It makes me pick my spots a little bit better. That's what we have to communicate at. I think me, Noce and Lou (Andres Nocioni and Luol Deng) are more than capable of getting the job done there. We just have to communicate a little more."

Wallace was asked about his defensive play in light of the Suns' Amare Stoudemire's 24-point, 18-rebound effort Tuesday night against the Bulls. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, only one other player has started opposite Wallace and reached such lofty statistical totals during Wallace's 10-year career: In 2001, San Antonio's David Robinson collected 29 points and 22 rebounds against Wallace, then with the Pistons.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...bulls,1,6511347.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines