Walking the Amazon River. (4,200 mile trek)

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Check this guy out, he's just done something that was claimed to be impossible.

Ed Stafford.

He spend over 2 years (859 days) walking the entire Amazon river. All 4,200 miles of it.

Trek News Explorersweb - the pioneers checkpoint

That's so cool, I would have never had the will to keep going I'm pretty afraid of a lot of wild animals like eels and crocs. :shocked:

You can check out his blog here.

Walking the Amazon: The blog of a journey from source to sea
Ed Stafford

I thought there might be some people here interested in this.

I can hardly imagine the feeling of accomplishment.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
That's pretty cool, and an amazing accomplishment. I can't imagine how challenging that must be. The Amazon is definitely not a place I have any interest in doing any kind of trek like that. So many insects and dangerous animals and stuff.

There was a guy a few years ago who was trying to hike across the entire Earth. He started at the southern tip of South America and walked north through South, Central, and North America, up through Alaska, walked across the Bering Straight into Russia while it was frozen over, and then got detained for entering Russia at an unofficial border crossing. I never heard if they let him continue after that. He was going to walk all the way across Asia, circle around Europe, and then walk to the bottom of Africa. It was supposed to take him like 8 years or something.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Yeah even though this is pretty cool I just can't imagine spending any amount of years walking anywhere, there are a lot of things I would much rather do with those years.

8 years is a ridiculously long trek (even if you're covering the entire earth, it's still just way too long to ever think about having to deal with.

Last edited:

Puck

Registered Member
Is it weird that I think this would be an amazing opportunity?
I just searched through that site and I would love to do something like this. Obviously it would take tons of training, but I'd be willing to spend 2 years doing it.
Think about the experiences and memories you'd walk away with.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'll bet Ed had some pretty scary nights sleeping along the Amazon. I hope the locals aided him along the way -- two years along the amazon could not have been easy at all.