• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Walking Outside During Coronavirus

Impaired

Registered Member
Back when I was a teenager one winter when my entire family was sick with the flu I never caught it. I didn't stay indoors with them all day long. I went horse back riding most of the day in the freezing cold. Had lots of fun. A lot to be said about not staying shut up indoors.
I walk every day, weather permitting. I'm very thankful for our yard, a creek runs along the bottom of the yard but the yard slopes and flooding isn't an issue. Fresh air and sunshine is good for you in lots of ways.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I walk every day, weather permitting. I'm very thankful for our yard, a creek runs along the bottom of the yard but the yard slopes and flooding isn't an issue. Fresh air and sunshine is good for you in lots of ways.
I love the creeks on our farm. One is pretty big and can turn into a raging river during flooding or become stagnant during a drought. The little one usually never drys up but can get out of its banks. Neither ever gets close to my house.

Impaired

Registered Member
augustflood1.jpg

This was the highest our creek rose, during Hurricane Bill in 2009.

Normally, this area is a couple of inches of water. The water is 4' deep here. The banks are steep and they never crested the banks. The land is higher on the other side, but behind me, my yard slopes up 15' or more and I have no basement. The shot below is where the flood pic is taken. Ava, the little one would be underwater and her sister might have most of her head out.

creeksistersavasmile.jpg

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I should try to get some pictures of our creeks next time it floods. I may have some if I wasn't too lazy to look for them.

Cute kids. Looks like they are having fun.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've been skipping my walks recently in favor of doing yard work in my front yard. Tons of it to do.

Even spending hours upon hours outside each day, I still see very few people out and about. What I really don't understand are the people that are outside wearing masks, either by themselves or with just one or two other people (people I assume are family and likely live in the same house).

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I think the risk is very low of doing solitary outdoor activities like mowing the lawn, working on the car, etc. and taking walks should be fine too as long as folks keep their distance. If it's someone you live with then there's not much point in social distancing when outdoors since you breath the same air indoors all the time. Some folks don't take social distancing seriously and may get too close for comfort, and if this concerns you, then wearing a mask will offer some protection. I wear mine when taking transit cuz well, it's a box of strangers.