• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wal-Mart employee sacked for helping assault victim

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
HARTLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. A Michigan man says he was fired from his job at Wal-Mart after he tried to help a woman being assaulted in the parking lot of one of the retail giant's stores and ended up fighting with her attacker.

Wal-Mart staffer Kristopher Oswald says he was sacked for trying to save woman in parking lot assault - CBS News
All he was trying to do was help this woman that was being mugged. It wasn't a shoplifter where there was no immediate danger to anyone it was a woman actively being assaulted. He just wanted to help her and I think its commendable that he did yet they fire him. I wouldn't want to work for that company.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Where do I even start with this one. If this was the first story I heard of, even just today, where someone doing the right thing got punished for his actions, I might feel differently about this story.

I understand why companies might have policies regarding violence. That makes sense. But surely the managers have the capacity and understanding that each scenario, or at least certain scenarios, could and should be reviewed for what they are.

What is with all these stories of people being punished, losing their jobs, being suspended from school and whatnot for doing what is right? What type of culture are you trying to harvest over there?

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
Punished for a good deed--horrid and disgraceful! Even though the stores may make rules, sometimes they may have to be bent a bit in order to protect the innocent. At times like this, I'd rather be ethical and moral and lose my job than watch someone lose their life.

Misdoubt

Registered Member
Open spoiler for a super spooky conspiracy theory.

-

They got rid of him because him working as security too would mean they would have to pay him more than minimum wage and that isn't allowed.

Wal Mart employees showing pro active and self thinking behavior is also bad, maybe it was all a test to see what he would do. They need mindless drones to work for them, not people that can think. He failed on his day of great judgement.

This was all foretold in the almighty contract signing, only in size .00005 Comic Sans MS font.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have heard that Wal-Mart makes you follow their rules even when your not at work. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. If that's true then he could of been fired if he had helped anyone anywhere. How wrong is that?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
What I want to know is whether this is a new policy for Wal-Mart or if it's been a policy for, say about 10 years. My ex worked at a Wal-Mart for a year after school and chased down a shoplifter, literally running him down and jumping him to the ground, COPS style. :lol: They made him a manager for that.

But then also, Louisiana seems to have a law and policies of it's own. :-/

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know how long this has been a policy of theirs but they would of fired your ex for that now. It seems like this is just something they have started doing the last few years or maybe that's just when it started making the news.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I don't know how long this has been a policy of theirs but they would of fired your ex for that now. It seems like this is just something they have started doing the last few years or maybe that's just when it started making the news.
I bet you're right about that. I hear more and more about people losing their jobs over less!

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
My guess is, due to our litigious society, Wal Mart has instituted policies for things like this. Their primary purpose was probably because of employees who chased down and injured shop lifters and lawsuits resulted. These policies probably do not differentiate between different kinds of physical altercations, in other words chasing down a shoplifter is treated the same as defending someone being assaulted in the parking lot. I'm not defending Wal-Mart here, I'm just saying they are probably looking at the amount they spend defending these lawsuits and instituted these policies because of them.