• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wal-Mart asks employees to donate food for co-workers

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Employees at an Ohio Wal-Mart store are being asked to donate canned goods to help out co-workers who don’t have enough to eat at the holidays.

Wal-Mart asks employees to donate canned goods to workers who don’t have enough to eat | The Raw Story
This is one of those things I have mixed feelings about. Yes its good that they are trying to help their employees by letting other employees donate food or money to help them through rough times. Then again why don't they pay them enough and let them work enough hours they don't need public assistance or handouts from other employees.

What do you think about this?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I'm with you on this one. Personally, if I was an employee that had to rely on my fellow colleagues contribution for the holidays, I would feel worthless. These are people that work for the same company. I think it's just really sad.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
It's not Wal Mart's fault the economy is a mess, it's not their fault the dollar has devalued to the extent it has, and Wal Mart paying artificial wages and giving hours that aren't needed does nothing to solve the economic problems this country has. I find it commendable that they are encouraging this.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I hear what you're saying, and maybe it's easy for me to say because I am fortunate enough to not be struggling financially. But I still think I would be embarrassed to take hand outs from the people I work with. It's heart warming on the one hand, and a slap in the face on the other hand.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Sure, I would be too, but at least Wal Mart is encouraging it's employees to help each other, but that doesn't force anyone to accept the help or admit they need the help in the first place.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
My problem with Wal-Marts is this is a very wealthy corporation that doesn't pay their employees enough or give them enough hours so the taxpayers are having to subsidize them by providing food stamps. Instead of the CEO's taking home multi millions, or billions in the owners case, couldn't they pay a living wage.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
What are you basing your claim on that they don't pay their employees enough? Enough compared to what? How much the CEO of Wal Mart makes or takes home is irrelevant, the problem is if what Wal Mart pays isn't enough to live on how is that the fault of Wal Mart? And at what point is it our fault for destroying our economy?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Enough compared to what it costs to get by and not be on food stamps.

If the economy is so bad then why do they pay the CEO's so much? I think what a company can fork over to a CEO is relevant.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
How is that Wal Mart's fault? Wages are based on the labor supply. Wal Mart is a business, it isn't a welfare office. It's objective is to provide goods to consumers and make a profit, it's objective isn't to provide a living wage for anyone, that's an individual responsibility. What Wal Mart pays it's CEO is also based on that labor supply, and the fact that they own the company itself.

If I open my own law office I'm going to pay a receptionist how much it costs to hire a receptionist. What it costs her to live is not a consideration when I offer her a rate of pay, the only concern is how many are in the labor supply willing to work at that wage.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sure as a small businessman you would do that, as I or anyone would but I bet you would give them a raise once in a while if you liked them. Wal-Mart is not a small business.