• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hmmm... Wait staff who don't write down your order

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Am I the only one who is annoyed by this? When waiters and / or waitresses at a restaurant don't write down your order but instead they memorize it in their heads.

It makes me so uncomfortable...stop showing off...write down my order. If it comes back wrong, I am going to be extra annoyed by it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It does not bother me at all. A lot of them have been doing this for years and so there is no need to write it down. Most times, if they misremember, they’ll come back to your table to clarify before punching in. Yes, I know, all that could be avoided if they wrote it down, but I don’t see a big deal.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah it doesn't harm anything but I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine.

I just don't understand why they do it...save on paper? :D

MissMe

Registered Member
It doesn't' annoy me if the don't write it down and get it all correct. It does annoy me when they don't write it down and my food comes out wrong. It also annoys me if they forget and have to keep coming back to the table to clarify what we've ordered.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
I've never experienced such a thing. Were you eating alone? Did the server remember correctly? I'm an easy to please fellow - steak medium-rare and fries. But, I'm sure I'd forget the orders if I didn't write it down, even for the simplest meals. I've never been a server though, so maybe there's some special magic that only they have.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've never experienced such a thing. Were you eating alone? Did the server remember correctly? I'm an easy to please fellow - steak medium-rare and fries. But, I'm sure I'd forget the orders if I didn't write it down, even for the simplest meals. I've never been a server though, so maybe there's some special magic that only they have.
I have been at a place with my whole family where they didn't write anything down...so at the time it was 5 of us. I think there was only one thing wrong and it wasn't a big deal...a side dish or something but still. Pens are easy to use.

Impaired

Registered Member
The reason they don't is that it slows them down.

A good server remembers orders correctly and who they are for.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
The reason they don't is that it slows them down.

A good server remembers orders correctly and who they are for.
Eh I don't buy it slows them down THAT much but I see your point

I think my perspective is just so much different. I write everything so I don't forget it...if its not written in front of me I probably will forget about it unless I jam it into my brain.

I have lists of things to do for work and personal stuff all over my desk lol