Wait, I thought there wasn't any liberal media bias!

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by SmilinSilhouette, Jul 22, 2010.

1. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

This is what has always bothered me the most. This is a very common tactic the media and different organizations use and I find it repulsive. Not only is it stupid sloppy thinking to turn a discussion into a "you're a racist" fight but it shows that they have nothing left to argue since they're unwilling to discuss any topic on it's merits.

"We don't like the healthcare bill"

"You're a racist"

"Stop raising our taxes"

"You're a racist"

"I thought you were going to be transparent"

"Oh yeah? You're a racist"

It's the fallback position of the infinitely stupid.

3. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I don't believe that there are any real journalists left and I don't think that there have been for many many years. The author of this article says himself that he tends to write more highly of republicans because he's a conservative. That's human nature right there. Either way that you take it, to the left or to the right, there's always going to be some sort of bias no matter who writes the article. Personal opinion will always slip in there somewhere.
    ------
    I remember when Bush was in office and everyone kept referring to him as Hitler or as a Nazi. That's the exact same thing that the Obama supporters are doing to people that disagree with him. Only they're calling them racists. Either way you look at it, Bush wasn't nearly as bad as Hitler was and people that disagree with Obama aren't racists. Like Captain said, it's their cop out answer and shows severely limited mental capacity by anyone that says things like that. And what might even be worse than that is that it cheapens Hitler, Nazi's, and racists. It makes it seem so much less radical because it's used so much that it completely loses its meaning and power.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
    Gavik likes this.
  4. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

There very very few. The ones that are probably get dissed that their to conservative or they have there own agenda. I think it's abhorrent. The press has freedom of the press but they have an obligation to report what exactly is going on, and not what they want you to hear. It doesn't matter if it's bad or good. Report it. If there are two sides to the story report both sides. One of them is right and one of them is wrong.

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

This whole "the world is against us" mindset the right seems to have has always made me laugh. Here we have a Fox News contributor, lamenting once again this tired and incorrect myth that the media is just a vast left wing conspiracy (despite the fact that Fox is bigger than most other "left" outlets combined). I've always wondered where this concept that everyone is against them has come from and why instead of constantly focusing on how 'outnumbered' they feel don't they actually unite? That's the one thing the left knows how to do that the right definitely does not seem able to.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

If what you got out of it was a Fox News contributor has a "the world is against us" mindset you completely missed the point of the article.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

"Not to say there's a media conspiracy, but at least to note that hundreds of journalists have gotten together, on an online listserv called JournoList, to promote liberalism and liberal politicians at the expense of traditional journalism."

The article is an opinion piece with no sources and he says over and over (at the beginning) about how there is no conspiracy and then goes on to lament that same non-existing conspiracy by simply describing it without using the word. The fact that any of this is news to him, this concept that like-minded individuals may get together to further their agendas especially in a realm as unprofessional and tainted as mainstream journalism, is laughable. He knows that discussions of a left wing bias will get him page views and thus pay, it's why he did it. And what's wrong with sharing rumors for pay? Well that's the whole problem with the media today, is it not?

We don't hold journalists in high regard anymore (thank you Hollywood paparazzi) and they have to scrape and steal to get good stories since the environment they work in is full of sharks and thieves. Thus, we often get stories with half truths with a pinch of hearsay or complete lies. Problem is, sometimes those stories survives for months even years before they're exposed and even then, the damage is already done. The laws don't hit news corporations so hard anymore and that's partly because the big media companies have a lot of say in this country financially which allows them to keep the law and politicians off their asses.

So yes, I got the article and I found myself wanting my minute and forty-two seconds back.