• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wainwright could be out for the Season

Wade8813

Registered Member
Who Will Replace Adam Wainwright? | FanGraphs Baseball

Just yesterday, the Cardinals were holding open tryouts for the imaginary “sixth starter.” Well, those tryouts just bumped up in significance with the news that Adam Wainwright may be lost for the season.
That's a huge blow for the Cards. I'm just glad I'm not the guy who kept Wainwright in a fantasy league I'm in :lol:.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was going to post this article this morning but it slipped my mind.

Wainwright was the second best pitcher in the National League last year, and if the Cardinals do lose him for the season, it would be a huge blow to their starting rotation.

Millz and Unity must be so pissed off about this.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Honestly, I didn't even want to respond to the thread but yeah, we're fucked.

What pisses me off more are the Cincinnati Reds who are talking shit already.

So fuck you Johnny Gomes and fuck you Dusty Baker.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What are they saying?

You might have a better insight then I do Millz, I'm wondering if one of the reasons why he might be getting Tommy John is because the Cardinals made him pitch way to many innings last season, and he couldn't handle the work load?

The bright side of it all if he does get Tommy John is look at Chris Carpenter.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wainwright tore something in the same elbow in 2004 and fought through it. He felt discomfort last season and we shut him down. So, honestly, the Cardinals knew this day was coming. Just sucks that it actually happened haha.

Here's what Gomes said...

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/225418
Brandon Phillips started the fire between the Reds and Cardinals last season, Johnny Cueto stoked it and now Jonny Gomes may just have added another log to the fire.

The Cardinals are bracing for bad news as Adam Wainwright is headed to St. Louis to have his elbow looked at. Most of the world has already jumped to the conclusion that he's going to have to have Tommy John surgery, missing all of this season.

That word certainly reached Arizona, home of last year's National League Central champions. In a world where injuries aren't celebrated, Gomes wasn't hiding his excitement that the Cardinals may not be as strong as they were a season ago due to the loss of their ace.

"Wainwright's gone, Wainwright's gone, Wainwright's gone," Gomes sang "at the top of his warbly voice" as he entered the Reds' clubhouse on Wednesday morning, Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News writes, adding that the singing was done "joyously." McCoy was the same person who reported Phillips "whiny little bitches" comment last year that led to a brawl. Gomes is 2-for-10 lifetime against Wainright with a homer and a double coming as his two hits.
Gomes later on said he was sorry...

The guy sure knows how to back pedal...
------
Found out what Gomes said later on after the news was reported...

I think he's full of it haha...

I just got off of the phone with Reds outfielder Jonny Gomes, who wanted to clarify and respond to an blog item that he was singing or celebrating the elbow injury of Cardinals starter Adam Wainwright.

I was present in the clubhouse when Gomes walked in. He was singing -- but it was a song from the original Karate Kid movie -- "You're the best around..." As for what he said about Wainwright, Gomes' account follows:

"I was doing an interview with [Rob] Dibble and Dibble gave me the breaking news that Wainwright was flying back to St. Louis with arm problems. That's all I heard. I came in and I said 'is Wainwright gone, is Wainwright gone?'

"To clear up everything, I came up with Wainwright. I know Wainwright. I think he's one of the top notch pitchers in the National League and baseball. Outside of different uniforms that we wear and different cities we play in, playing in the Major Leagues, we're all brothers. There's a brotherhood there. There's one thing you would never wish upon any other player and that's an injury. We've all had them at some point coming up and we might currently be having one now.

"From the bottom of my heart, I would never wish anyone an injury. If they did have an injury, you wish them the best in rehab. As Major League ballplayers, we have a brotherhood for each other. On the field, we're going to battle and play our nine innings and we're going to compete. Off the field, we're still human and we have families. There's one thing you don't wish upon anyone and that is an injury. Even if they are on the other team, you wish them the best of health. If Wainwright is gone, it doesn't mean anything to us. It maybe gives them the opportunity to make a trade for another big ace. The Cardinals are top notch themselves. They've battled with injuries there. They are a top notch organization with a top notch general manager and a top notch ownership."

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I barely want to talk about this, either.

And seriously, the Reds are starting to piss me off more than the Cubs. ;)

That's a good point about Carpenter, for sure. The only thing is that it weighs heavily on us fans who were literally counting down the days to the new season. We're going to need our other pitchers to have phenomenal years, have luck with some new talent, or get a new acquisition (which is probably unlikely).
------
And about what Gomes said, it's just not classy. And I'm not buying the way he changed his "Wainwright's gone" from a cheer to a question, by a long-shot.

Listen, it's natural that you'll be relieved in some way if a rival pitcher isn't going to be around in your division. I believe that he wouldn't wish anyone an injury, but...

...That doesn't mean that you should act like a child.

Baseball is classier and better than that, in my opinion. The Reds just don't seem to understand that.

Last edited:

salsanchezfan

Registered Member
Wow, I knew Wainwright injured his elbow, but I was not aware of the drama surrounding it. Pretty ugly stuff if you ask me.