• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Wainwright' comments

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ken Rosenthal said that Wainwright told some reporters that he had grooved some pitches to Jeter, although he said that had he known he would hit a double, he might have changed his mind.

Apparently, Wainwright backtracked his comments. Just curious what your thoughts on all of this? Especially since the game means something.

I don't personally know if Wainwright was joking or telling the truth but honestly, if that was the case, I just would've shut my mouth about this. Under normal circumstances, back in the days when the All-Star Game was just an exhibition of sorts, people would've made little fuss about it. But now that the World Series home field advantage is determined by the winner of the game, you just can't allow yourself to do something stupid, especially for Wainwright, who pitches for a team that is a likely NL contender for the World Series.

We'll see in October if indeed that "grooving pitch" by Wainwright will have some sort of factor in the World Series.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think Waino was joking around in his interview because the reporters even laughed at his "joke."

Who knows if he did what he did on purpose or not but after throwing an offspeed pitch for a ball on pitch 1 he did have to throw a strike.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
This another case of Fox Sports making a big deal of something that is meaningless in ever way possible. Wainwright said it in a joking matter, and because they made it look like a huge story Waino had to come back and explain himself. I have no issue with Adam's wrong choice of words or joking around.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
EdgeHead said:
I don't personally know if Wainwright was joking or telling the truth but honestly, if that was the case, I just would've shut my mouth about this. Under normal circumstances, back in the days when the All-Star Game was just an exhibition of sorts, people would've made little fuss about it. But now that the World Series home field advantage is determined by the winner of the game, you just can't allow yourself to do something stupid, especially for Wainwright, who pitches for a team that is a likely NL contender for the World Series.

We'll see in October if indeed that "grooving pitch" by Wainwright will have some sort of factor in the World Series.
This. I wasn't there when he said it so I don't know how it sounded, but this seems like something that he probably was saying sarcastically, someone put it in print or quoted him, and the people who read/heard it secondhand didn't understand that there was sarcasm involved.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B NBA 6
Crypticshock Hockey 6
Babe_Ruth NBA 9
K NBA 24
StroShow NBA 5