Waco. Religious nut jobs or Government oppression?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, Jan 28, 2009.

?

Which situation was Waco?

1. Religious nut jobs gone to far.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Government oppression gone to far.

100.0%
  1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

What are your views on Waco? Who was the instigator? Who was right, who was wrong? Did the government use too much force?

Is it another situation like Ruby Ridge or Ed and Elaine Brown?

Discuss...

2. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

Why can't it be both? The Branch Davidians were absolutely nuts. The ATF went completely overboard. One was a dangerous cult and the other was a government agency that was too gung-ho.

3. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

exactly, they could have picked up the cult away from the compound, but they wanted to make a big show out of it. Also, remember the Mormon cult the feds arrested last year? After interrogating them, they could not find any crimes. Sometimes things aren't how they appear. BD was probably a nut-house, but we'll never know because of the way ATF handeled it.

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Wait, so age of consent doesn't count for anything? Most of the minors there were pregnant or had given birth. Personally I think the indoctrination an isolated fringe cult like that subjects their children to is the only reason there was not heavy complaints of abuse and sexual assault.

Getting back to the topic at hand, it's a mixture. The Branch Davidians were engaging in illegal conduct, particularly involving the treatment of children. And yes, with most groups like them there will have to be a compound raid of some type- as the whole point of a compound is that it's a structure that most of the group doesn't leave.

Certainly I think the ATF could have simply apprehended their leader while he was away and that probably would have sapped their spirit to the point where they would have gone down peacefully. The 1990s were definitely a time of learning for law enforcement in regards to cults and domestic extremists (there was a similar standoff at a mountain cabin with a neo-Nazi that ended with his wife getting killed in crossfire)- given the track record of incidents in the past decade I think the government would have done things smarter.

5. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I think the same thing was said about the Mormon group that was busted a few months ago. Then later, the feds had to admit there were no crimes after all. I'm not a BD cheerleader, but innocent until proven guilty applies.