Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A week

• A Month

• Total voters

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Many (religious/spiritual) people take on themselves a vow of silence. This vow can be unlimited (last for their whole life time) and some do it when they feel it is necessary for short periods of time.

Here's my question, do you believe you will at any given time be able to keep a vow of silence?

If so how long could you go for?
Can't do it.
Not Long (Less than an hour)
12 - 24 hrs
A weekend
A week
A month
Month++

Psy-cho

I can't do it. I feel like my head's going to explode if I don't talk. *lol* I talk to myself when I'm alone, I talk to my cats, I talk to the t.v., I sing. Basically I am a big ol' motormouth and always have been. The only time I'm silent is when I'm sleeping and since I've had insomnia for the last few years now that's not very often.

I know some people are just naturally quiet and being silent is no problem for them, but for someone like me it takes an incredible amount of strength not to speak for any given period of time and I have the utmost respect for those who were once talkative and take a vow of silence for their beliefs. And, well, for those who take such a vow in general.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I'd like to say that if my children weren't surrounding me for the most part of the day I believe I could keep silent up to 12 hrs. But I'll never know till I try...

Bliss

Sally Twit
I went with 12-24 hours. I could definitely do at least 12 hours if I really wanted to. After 24 hours I'd be ready to explode though.

Could anyone really keep quiet for months?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Probably a day or so, then I'd go insane.

I don't believe in such a thing anyways. You're given a voice, you should use it.

I could probably do a weekend without talking. It would be a lot harder for me to go more than a few hours without other forms of communication. Text, email, forums.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Could anyone really keep quiet for months?
People do. It's amazing really.
Those who do it for spiritual reasons do so as a journey for healing, getting closer to god. On "easier" levels, stopping yourself from talking small-talk/gossip etc.

You're given a voice, you should use it.
That's something we keep disagreeing upon, the power of words. Not speaking can be cleansing in a way (just like you clean yourself when you get dirty, one will clean oneself from uttering words that seem to them unclean), a vow could also be showing that they are able to stop their urge of talking (like most religious laws - they try and stop ones urges/physical needs).

I could probably do a weekend without talking. It would be a lot harder for me to go more than a few hours without other forms of communication. Text, email, forums.
I think in this day an age a vow of silence would have to include the texting and other form of communications.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
are you kidding me? blah it's impossible for me to keep quite even when i'm requested to do so.
i'll talk to myself if needed.

I think in this day an age a vow of silence would have to include the texting and other form of communications.
Just to clarify since I'm not even remotely familiar with the rules, and I assumed silence meant only that.
When you take such a vow, you cannot communicate via any other means at all?

I'll be needing to change my vote.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Honestly, I think I could keep a vow of silence for months, if not years, if I really had to or wanted to.