Voting

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Doc, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I don't vote, and my father despises that. He always says "You'd better vote, you'll never get what you want." and things of that nature. He doesn't understand that I don't vote because I hate just about every political candidate, and I hate our electoral system.

So, any opinions, do you vote? Why/Why not?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, when it comes to voting, I say even if you don't like any of the candidates, pick the one that you would RATHER have in office and vote for him/her.

Somebody is going to end up in office. It may as well be somebody you hate rather than despise, worst case scenario.

By not voting you won't really be sticking it to the man. People will end up in office regardless of who does and does not vote. Somebody will still win.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Fee-nix

Well, I am not of age to vote, but when I am old enough, I will vote.
    Its partly because my parents vote, and I have learned that voting is just something you do.
    But its even more than that. I feel that yes, I may be one in millions of people, and my vote may seem unimportant. However, if fifty thousand people adopt the attitude of not voting because 'my vote wont make a difference', then that is fifty thousand opinions not heard.
    I have the impulse to stand up for what is right, even if the odds are against me. If I allow myself to be discouraged by numbers, then I will not have my opinion heard.

Now, as far as political candidates and electoral systems go, I agree with you to some point. However, there are some things in life that just have to be worked with. The electoral system is frustrating and rediculous, as can be the political candidates. There is not much you can do about these things aside from run for office yourself :D.
    Ya, what a confusing, frustrating, and upside down world we live in today...it can be troubling at times.
    Omg I did it again. Im off topic. Geez, I do that alot.

4. shinobi

shinobi New Member

i hate all politions in my country Canada

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't vote for similar reasons that Steve said. Even when there are decent candidates, unless they're Republican or Democrat the system is set up to make it impossible for them to get elected.

6. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

That's a good point. Interestingly enough, the system is technically set up so that if enough votes go to a third party candidate, the electoral college would most likely vote Republican or Democrat anyway. The electoral college was put in place so forefront candidates would be guaranteed a place in office if the people voted for candidates that the electoral committee did not deem fit for office. This means that technically some voting IS in fact useless because 9 times out of 10 the electoral college will in essence "veto" votes for candidates that are neither Republican or Democrat.

Even so, my original statement took this system into effect. That's why I said vote for the person you think is better fit. I guess a better way to put that would be to say vote for whichever person, Republican or Democrat that you would rather have in office. Unfortunately the system isn't set up for any other votes to count towards much of anything.

7. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I vote whether my candidate has a snowballs chance in hell of being elected or not; this way I have the right to moan and groan about what the government is or is not doing.
    If you don't vote, then I guess your happy to drift along with whatever decisions are made on your behalf.

8. Bunny_roses

Bunny_roses what? no pink?

I was reading this thread and the whole time I was thinking exactly thiis LOL I was already formulating my response :cool: So I was glad to see this reply. I feel the same way exactly. There are so many people out there that feel their vote doesn't count. I agree that at times it does feel like that. However voting gives you a voice, that at least you have made your choice clear. By voting and my candidate doesn't win, I can at least throw my 2 cents on the table and have the right to complain about it all. Then try again next time. By that time I might have had the chance to show a few people the error of their thinking and sway them to vote for my candidate :D

9. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

You do realize that you only vote for a member of the electoral college to make an educated decision on what candidate you want in office, right? If someone gets voted 80-20 and he chooses the person with only 20% of the votes, nothing would be legally wrong. So every time you vote, just remember that some guy you've never met, or voted for, gets to make a decision for you. I also hate the fact that even if a candidate gets the majority of the popular vote, they still have a chance at not being elected. So, I don't just "feel" that my vote is worthless, I know it's worthless.

Also, it looks as if I do have a right to "bitch and moan" about the government, even though I don't vote. It's called the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. Part of the Bill of Rights, collect the whole set!

10. maledoro

maledoro Strange Visitor

Legally, you do have a right to bitch and moan. But, you also have the right to accept criticism for not being responsible. You have a right to deliberately hit your thumb with a hammer and cry about it, but you have to consider that others may think, "Well, dummy? What did you think would happen?"

[​IMG]