• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Voting Machines

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
So I was browsing reddit.com and came across this "info-pic":

Needless to say, it made me think. I've always wondered how secure these voting machines actually were and upon checking the research above, it's pretty accurate. Voting machines are run on mysterious software by private companies. Shouldn't this be something of public knowledge? Maybe not the exact intricate workings but at least some kind of regulation? I mean, these machines essentially determine the fate of our governments every year.

Thoughts? Does this secrecy bother anyone else? How about the idea of it being run by for-profit businesses? Should the government be in charge? If not, who?

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Seems to me like people in charge of elections should be demanding a lot more transparency from voting machine manufacturers. Federal standards of transparency regarding voting apparatus seems like a good idea short that.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
First of all, by definition... All Business are "For Profit". Without Profit there is no achievement, without Achievement there is no reason to Function. Companies that are "non-profit" are still making a profit from charity donations or government aid, without either tech, people, and other necessary resources can not be attained. Without the help... people would be working for free... when was the last time you saw or heard of anyone working for the government for free? :hah:

Having said that... My big question is, the Government is paying for these machines... So is this the same saying that goes to Soldiers carrying a general issue Battle Rifle? "Your life depends on the tool in hand... but always remember it was designed and built by the lowest bidder."

Was there a better more reliable option to our current Voting Machines or are these just Pacman rejects converted into point and click tally tools the only option on the market?

The secrecy doesnt surprise me and thus it doesnt bother me because its entirely expected. However I believe the Las Vegas machine comparison shows that sometimes info cease and desist strategies aren't always the most effective.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I agree with Cons, the problem though is getting an above scrutiny group of people to test, spot check and certify the machines. If the Republican governor appoints someone, the Democrats call foul and vice-versa. I guess maybe the board of elections could do it and that could be watched over by the FBI or some sort. Can you image the problems we would have at the hint of any kind of irregularity? Let a guy lose by a few hundred votes and then let the board of directors say there may be irregularities. The city would be on fire the next day. There's just not a happy solution.

Sim

Registered Member
Considering all the debate and controversy about alleged manipulation or errors when voting machines were applied in the past, I wonder if the cons of electronic voting don't outweigh the pros.

Using just pens and papers is maybe less practical and takes a little longer to count, but it also leaves less room for accusations of manipulation and error.