• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Vlad close to signing.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I was just checking Buster Olney's Twitter and the Orioles have made their final offer to Vlad and it's expected to be in the $4.5-5 million range. Yesterday there was a rumor that another team was in for $8 million but it may have been a tactic to draw his price up more because he was offered something along the lines of $2.5-3 million.

The other team thought to be in in the bidding is the Angels but I can't seem to find reports of their offer to him.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That would be a huge pick up, Vladdy proved last season that he can still get the job done. I don't know why the Rangers are not trying to re-sign him. He and Josh Hamilton were a deadly 3-4 in the batting order. If the Orioles do end up signing him then that would be a huge plus for them.

In all honesty Baltimore are having themselves a really quiet good off-season, they'll definitely be much improved this year if everyone can stay healthy. There starting picthers are still the biggest question mark though.

Doc

V.I.P.
The Rangers made a trade for Mike Napoli from the Blue Jays and announced Micheal Young as their opening day DH. It seems to me like they're trying to save a little payroll while keeping a DH that can play their position.

Ron Washington: Michael Young will be Opening Day DH for Texas Rangers - ESPN Dallas

I think Vlad has a big year coming up. If he signs with the Orioles I expect them to try to move Pie or Scott for an innings eater type of starter. They need another solid veteran in the lineup or to shore up the bullpen.

I can't believe that my poor Orioles have the best shot at going over .500 they've had in years. I'm super excited at their chances of getting Vlad. Of course, they'll probably move him to a contender by the trade deadline to bring in some second tier prospects.

Wade8813

Registered Member
The Orioles are in a really weird position. Everyone's pretty sure they underperformed, in part because their young players seemed to get so discouraged. But is signing an aging DH really the best way to turn things around? You want your players to get back in the groove (the last thing you want is a whole crop of youngsters who don't live up to their potential), but unless you think you're going to contend this year, paying $5 mil to an aging player is probably not the best move. It's not terrible, but not very good either IMO.

Doc

V.I.P.
The Orioles are using a certain formula to build their team -- grow the arms and buy the bats. The Orioles have a good core of young starting pitching and they aren't getting any run support. The team had little to no pop last year and Izturis was one of the worst hitters in the league. Bell was too young to be starting third and there was no regular first baseman.

They've put established younger hitters at third and SS. Lee was the veteran bat they added to have a solid veteran locker room presence. The Vlad signing is designed to help the young arms and to provide a solid 4/5 hitter in the lineup to give the Orioles the pop they need to have a decent, balanced AL lineup.

You have to remember that if the Orioles aren't contending for a Wild Card spot (sorry, I understand how unlikely that is) he can be dealt at the deadline for some prospects. Pie has obviously reached his peak and Reimold needs some more work in the minors before he can be an everyday player again. His injury really hurt his development and he'd do well to get some ABs in every day.

(orders are my best guess)
Without Vlad:
2b - Roberts
RF - Markakis
1b - Lee
SS - Hardy
DH - Scott
3b - Reynolds
CF - Jones
C - Weiters
LF - Pie/Reimold

With Vlad:
2b - Roberts
RF - Markakis
1b - Lee
LF - Scott
DH - Gurrero
SS - Hardy
3b - Reynolds
CF - Jones
C - Weiters

Wade8813

Registered Member
Tha'ts a good point about trading him. Although not all teams in contention will need a DH (maybe very few), and he's getting old enough, he might fall apart and not be very trade-able.

Doc

V.I.P.
He's more likely to fall apart in the second part of the season. I'm betting that some AL team will be looking for a big bat mid-season to try to make the push for the playoffs. Isn't that what the White Sox did when they signed Manny?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't believe Wieters should be hitting that low in the line-up. I think it's time to put him in the three slot. We all know the hype that was surrounding this kid when he came to the Majors, he hasn't really lived up to it thus far. I believe he's going to have an amazing year, I actually believe he'll make the All-Star this season. He showed signs of breaking out last year, but he was very inconsistent unfortunately, I think this year will be much different.

Doc

V.I.P.
I'm not so sure about him being an All-Star but I'd love to see it. He's no Mauer.

Bosox04

Registered Member
Here's the baseball player mentality that I don't get...why go play for a team that is likely to be dead last in the AL East---the most difficult division in baseball. Vlad was so close to getting his first ring last year in Texas, however he proved to be more of a liability than an asset. .071 BA in the World Series...just over .200 through the 2010 playoffs. Not to mention, Vlad is still batting lifetime .263 in the playoffs.

Yes, he did great for the Rangers in the regular season, but that was against a weak AL West. So, I guess what I don't get is, why doesn't Vlad try to get on with a team where he has the chance to win? Take a million to play for the Yankees this season, or jump on the Twins for half the price that they would have payed Thome...or sign with Texas early so you have a shot next year. Hell, even the Phillies would probably take a bat like that for a good price.

With all the money that he's earned through his career ($117,930,000) with Montreal (RIP), Anaheim, and most recently Texas, why not be a hired gun? But most of all, why go to a basement team in the hardest division in Baseball? To me, this is a terrible move for a great hitter---then again, the O's could prove us all wrong.

....bosox04