• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Vitriol Online for Cheerios Ad With Interracial Family

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Hate is very popular these days, and I think that it's coming out now more because people can be relatively anonymous on the Internet.

What a shame. Just when you think we've progressed a little.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
That's just youtube though. You get racist/sexist/homophobic rants on a video of a freaking puppy these days. Youtube comments are terrible for almost every video everywhere. Look at the actual like/dislike ratio for that video. The majority of the people love it, it's just the minority of youtube commenting idiots are all assholes, like they seem to be on almost every youtube video.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I hate to be cynical, but I can't help but wonder if Cheerios isn't making a mountain out of a molehill in order to get a little press. The article says 700 dislikes. I have no idea what that means. Do some people just dislike for the heck of it? Its just that I live in SC and I literally do not know a single person that can use a computer that would get worked up over seeing a biracial couple. Well, maybe 1 person that I know. Maybe, but probably not even him. If it was a gay couple I could see backlash. I just have a hard time imagining there were really more than just a couple of people that would actually start throwing racial slurs over this. Maybe I'm wrong?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It has 32,000 likes compared to just over 1,000 dislikes. It's pretty clear that the majority of people have no problem with this video.

I think Cheerios just aren't used to the youtube comment section. Almost every video now turns into rants of some sorts, that's just the nature of youtube. Of course something like this was going to happen.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I wouldn't say hate is very popular these days, compared to any other time in history this is probably the most tolerant the world has ever been. This is a small minority of people, in a world this populated you're going to find people that hate. The law of large numbers dictates it to be so, it isn't a surprise and not a big deal. It happens.