Virtual Money = Real Money

Nearly 500,000 people in developing nations earn a wage making virtual goods in online games to sell to players, a study has found.

Research by Manchester University shows that the practice, known as gold-farming, is growing rapidly.
The industry, about 80% based in China, employs about 400,000 people who earn £77 per month on average.
The practice is flourishing despite efforts by games companies to crack down on the trade in virtual goods.

Prof Heeks said very accurate figures for the size of the gold farming sector were hard to come by but his work suggested that in 2008 it employs 400,000 people who earn an average of $145 (£77) per month creating a global market worth about $500m.
Source: BBC NEWS | Technology | Poor earning virtual gaming gold

:zomg:

I don't know what to think. Wow!

When I was on EverQuest back in early 00' I saw people selling their characters for $4oo - $8oo on eBay. It was very shocking since I never knew people would actually care that much to buy an e-avatar. Now that there is a business for this... hmm... Na, I wouldn't be able to give up my hard work so easily, me thinks. As for the money part, maybe one of these days. :lol:

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
It's crazy but people are spending mad cash right now for Cyber stuff and property and are making a killing on the resales.

I saw something on this on Tech TV and it blew my mind. Shit i'm in the wrong business. But you by time the idea has become main stream (Now) it's not realy worth it to try and do it cause there are so many people out there doing it now, to make money off this Idea you have to hit the sites at the right time when they are fairly unknown and not a lot of people selling their upgrades or skins.

Hell I have even heard of Major companies like (Nike and Rebock, New balance, and Vans) are selling real merchandise in the cyber world of games. You go to a cyber mall and buy shoes for your avatar and a real pair is shipped to your house.

It just amazes me what people will spend their hard earned cash on.

Easily-Amused

http://easily-amused.com/
one of my god friends does EverQuest. or EVE... one of the two in which you can make real money by working for virtual money. apparently, it doesn't make a living, but it works well for a little pocket money.