• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Violent Protests in Baltimore

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's looking to be a repeat of Ferguson. There's been burning of cop cars, looting and throwing of objects at police. 7 officers have been hurt, some with broken bones and one is unresponsive. There have also been threats from gangs to kill police officers.

Violent clashes between Baltimore police and protestors turn city into 'absolute war zone' after thousands mourn Freddie Gray in open casket funeral

This is ridiculous, I can't blame them for protesting but looting, burning cars, throwing objects at police and hurting them isn't okay. How is tearing up your neighborhood going to help anything or threatening to kill cops?

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
After looting a CVS pharmacy they set it on fire then when firefighters hooked up a hose to put it out someone stabbed the hose, then someone else cut it again. Its really getting crazy there with the burning and looting.

Now there have been 11 officers hurt. Also a state of emergency has been declared and more than 1000 police officers are on their way to Baltimore along with the National Guard.

Tonight's ball game between the White Sox and Orioles has been suspended.

The link I gave in the OP has been updated.

Edit: They were saying 11 officers had been hurt now its back to 7.

Stego

Registered Member
To shed light on the burning stuff down and looting: without trying to generalize, I can say that within the largely black communities I've been in / worked in there is a sense that places like a CVS and WalMart are not "their" neighborhood--they are owned and operated by the part of America they feel deep down is keeping them down. Of course, some people just like any excuse for mayhem, so there are those bad folks everywhere. I've seen worse riots after hockey games in Canada, but this is "scary" to some of America because it's black people shouting on TV. Let's just put that out there--black people shouting on TV can still frighten the wits out of white America and make the police seem like the defacto good guys restoring order.

PhD Ruby Payne has a very well-written, well-reviewed book called "A Framework for Understanding Poverty," which is now in its fourth edition. It was required reading for me before I went to student teach in inner-city NJ. It's a little dry, but some of what she points out is that poverty and oppression increases the chance for hair-trigger emotional reactivity, a lack of expressive outlets, a disenfranchisement in resources that prevents healthy communication and self-development, and a feeling of gross depression about one's surroundings.

I'm not defending the destruction, I'm just saying I understand it and recognize it's not for no reason at all.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with much of what you said. However burning down your own community will not help them. Killing cops will not help them which is what I'm afraid will happen when the gangs get involved.

Ever who killed Freddie Gray should have to answer for it.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Its uncivilized behavior. And btw most poor people in America are white.
http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2013/12/most_poor_people_in_america_are_white.html

So where are all the white riots? Why arent mobs of white people burning down cities and looting stores and attacking the police?
Also if you want more proof that there are more poor whites than there are poor blacks then just go to the CDC site. They have those statistics.

The only things those riots accomplish is lining black pockets and proving that poor blacks cant act like civilized people. Imo they should be arrested for terrorist activities. They are doing more to destroy America than any Muslim extremists.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
On TV this morning they said 15 cops had been injured.

It did my heart good to see one black mother that got a hold of her son and slapped him several times making him get off the street. So not all blacks think this was okay, we have to keep that in mind.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's some interesting facts about Gray, his arrest and the riots. I've heard many of these things already but some I hadn't. I didn't know about Grays arrest history or that he was trying to injure himself in the van. Still how would you crush your windpipe and sever your spine beating your head on the wall.

17 Things About the Baltimore Riots the Media Won't Tell You

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It was released that the injury Gray suffered was from hitting his head on the back door of the van. The man that said he thought he was beating his head against the wall because he could hear it and not see what he was doing. It is also said the driver of the van was giving him a rough ride. They also made a stop they didn't' report, caught on camera and he wasn't injured during arrest, caught on camera.

I don't know what to say about all of this, doesn't seem logical someone would kill themselves like that. Now I'm wondering if the cops in the van did this, not the arresting officers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...top-arrest-private-security-camera-scene.html

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Dont forget that it isnt totally a black issue. This unarmed white dude was shot twice and killed by a non-white police officer last August.
http://wreg.com/2014/11/25/salt-lake-cop-cleared-in-shooting-of-unarmed-white-man/

1. Where were the riots?
2. Where was the massive media campaign and all the outrage?
3. Why didnt Obama order a special investigation?

I never see any riots and looting in the news when non-blacks are killed by police.
So maybe non-blacks are intelligent enough to know it wont help anything?
Im so happy I dont live in a big city! :D Those places are scary! :eek:

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I'm with the hoards... It doesn't matter why you riot once the ball is rolling. The bandwagon effect takes over and you're just rioting because your F'ing BORED! BOOOOOOOOOOORED!!! Bored out of your F'ing minds and seeking any form of convenient action and distraction. This crap gives young Americans the opportunity to bust loose and blow off steam. The hell with the consequences! We're BORED! Fred-die Gray! Rod-ney King! Kill, Crush, DESTROY! WhooHooooooo!

- Cham