Violent Faith

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by FindMuck, Mar 7, 2010.

1. FindMuck

FindMuck Registered Member

I was talking to one of my IR professors and he tried to make the argument that religion is irrational because in many religions there are laws against harming other people, but at the same time wars happen over religion all the time.

I disagreed saying that its not religion that makes people be violent but inherent cultural differences and the fear of losing one's own identity or culture in the face of diversity.

My question to you is: there have been so many conflicts over religion, do you think that these conflicts are based only on religious differences, or is that just used as a veil for differences that are entirely political?

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

If a religion has rules against violence, yet people are violent because of religious differences, that indicates that the PEOPLE are irrational, not the religion (unless the religion both advocates and forbids violence)

It seems safe to say that there HAS been violence based solely on religion (and no other cultural influences). But I'd also agree that a lot of the so-called religious wars/violence is a veil for greed, political influences, etc.

3. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Given such examples as Christianity's Crusades and Islam's suicide bombings, I'd be more inclined to say neither or even both. There's no definitive pattern, no absolute explanation. Religion seems to be about the interpretation of the individual. Evidently some individual's of some religions can condone or excuse violence, while other's within the same religion find it deplorable.

So who can say? Religions are only defined by the people who practise it. :dunno:

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Religions have never had problems with murder, not the mainstream ones anyways. I mean, with the exception of Buddhism and other faiths based on peace, the bloodiest and most brutal wars ever fought have been over religion. It just shows how fiery religious passion can be.

5. FindMuck

FindMuck Registered Member

Right, I agree, but my question is were those wars really based on religion, or was religion scapegoated and it was really something much more political. It seems to me that any conflict I study involving religion is ultimately about something else, but we use religion as an excuse because its an easy one and it gives us a reason to be allowed to be violent.