• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Violence!

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
A general look at violence, however broad the subject.

What is your stance on violence?
Have you ever been at the receiving end of violence, or witnessed it?
Do you indulge in violence in entertainment mediums, such as film, games, music and books? What are your views on the portrayal of violence?
Assess the pros and cons of this indulgence --
What do you reckon of the media and its presentation of violence?
Generally discuss violence... What do you have to say about it? Ta!

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
My views on it are simple. Don't do it unless provoked, then the gloves can come off. Sadly there are people in the world that don't know how to not be violent. Sadly, the only way to deal with violence is with violence. There is no other way around it.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
My views on it are simple. Don't do it.

I'm a hypocrite when it comes to media such as TV, movies, Video Games, etc. I'm fine with violence related entertainment because it's not reality. Trust me, I know that I'm faulty in trying to live as a pacifist but liking that kind of stuff.

When it comes to the news media, I think their focus is too much on violence and not enough on the good. However, I can understand that if there's a violent act it's something that people want and need to know about.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
My views on it are simple. Don't do it unless provoked, then the gloves can come off. Sadly there are people in the world that don't know how to not be violent. Sadly, the only way to deal with violence is with violence. There is no other way around it.
I agree with this. Violence is a reality. I have no sympathy for those that seek out trouble and end up with a violent ending. I certainly do not condone violence or initiate it, but if someone doesn't want me to get violent with them, don't try breaking into my house, holding me up, etc....

Dekzper

Registered Member
Violence is something we have to live with cause it's all around us. I dont like fighting but I def wont let some Ahole slam me, now way. Cause the way peeps treat someone that wont fight is tons worse than just getting slammed. I wont strike first but if someone tries, I always do some slamming. But yeah, life would be a TON better without it.
But I do like some violent video games and stuff so I dont get that. Life is just strange.

Dabs

Registered Member
Tough subject for me, I grew up in violence.
Witnessed my Mother get beatings and I received beatings myself.
Some of which left me unable to sit down!...or barely walk.
It lasted for almost 12 years......mine did, my Mother's was much longer~
Which in turn made me the Mother I am today, my children were spoiled rotten!
I couldn't bring myself to spank them......never swatted them....nothing...for fear I was abusing them in some way.
And I always panicked if I saw a bruise on them......most generally it was from them being children, but I grew up hiding bruises from my school mates, so it bothered me to see my own children have bruises.
So watching violence on Tv is hard for me.
The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies, but there are a couple of scenes in there that have heavy beatings, so I have to exit the room till those are over, and then I will come back to watch the show.
And if I am watching a movie I have never seen and it looks like violence is approaching, and somebody with me has already seen the movie, I'll ask them what happens next...and I really wanna know!!.....because if it has something to do with violence, I'll leave the room then too.
It makes my stomach turn to hear news stories of violence......and I always hope nobody ever breaks into my home or anything, cause I honestly can't see myself picking up a baseball bat and wielding it, I would be scared shitless.
And it's safe to say, I never go out anywhere provoking violence.

Impact

V.I.P.
A general look at violence, however broad the subject.

Do you indulge in violence in entertainment mediums, such as film, games, music and books? What are your views on the portrayal of violence?
Assess the pros and cons of this indulgence --
Violence is required in some situations. I think it's pretty damn impossible to go through life without witnessing it in some form unless you live under a rock.

I'm fine with violence in entertainment. I crave brutal video games, and I love movies and shows that have violence. Probably 90% of what I watch has violence in it, but you don't see me going about and shooting people, or hacking up classmates or whatever. Because I know it's not real.

That's one thing I hate, when music, or movies, or video games get blamed for violent acts. What happened to just crazy?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Violence is required in some situations. I think it's pretty damn impossible to go through life without witnessing it in some form unless you live under a rock.

I'm fine with violence in entertainment. I crave brutal video games, and I love movies and shows that have violence. Probably 90% of what I watch has violence in it, but you don't see me going about and shooting people, or hacking up classmates or whatever. Because I know it's not real.

That's one thing I hate, when music, or movies, or video games get blamed for violent acts. What happened to just crazy?
I agree with you, especially the bold bit. I pretty much despise the way that violence in these entertainment mediums is attributed to real acts of violence. I mean, there are millions of people who indulge in violent entertainment (like me, and you), yet I'd like to assume that the majority don't reap bad influences from it. In a way, I kinda find that the violence that can be witnessed in films etc or enacted in video games, or heard in music, is a way of venting general frustration - unless you are a general 'crazy' like you suggest - I kinda find that engrossing myself in violent entertainment mediums appeases any such desire to inflict violence... For me at least, and hopefully most folks. If that makes sense.

As for myself and violent conduct, I find myself deterred from it, and not just because of consequences linked to legality and prison and that, but simply because the idea of harming another doesn't seem right. Actually makes me feel sick if I'm honest. The idea of being responsible for someone getting hurt, unless the circumstances are justified - and even then I'd feel shit about it.

e.g.
About a decade ago, my mother met a bloke who seemed all right. They had a fairly long relationship, yet he started drinking. One night he came to the house, I was upstairs, it was late and I was about to go to bed. I heard them arguing and so it kept me up. My mum screamed out at some point, so I grabbed my pool cue and headed down stairs, more or less on impulse. This bloke had my mum up by the throat, and without thinking I gave him two raps on the head with the stick. Blood went everywhere, on witnessing what I'd done I phoned for an ambulance and started to question whether he was being violent. I swear he was, but I pretty much forgot the circumstances of the actual episode as soon as it was over, or particularly the catalyst for my reaction. Hence, I didn't know what to think. Although I felt rotten for lashing out like this.
He turned out fine. And I ended up in the cells for the night. Fortunately on giving my statement I outlined that I was protecting my mother. I was let off, without any record, under the idea that it was done in self defence (regardless of whether it was done to protect my mother, and not me).

This happened ages ago, and is the only instance of violence that I have performed myself. I still feel shit about it, about losing control, but I suppose in the circumstances I'm fine with it. After all, I'm sure he was physically harming my mum, and if it took a pool cue to beat him off then so be it. But even through this, I hate the idea of causing violence, no matter how many violent video games I play. I still feel rotten about having to resort to violent measures. -- There is a distinction left in me. Between simulated violence and the real kind.

Real violence is not to be condoned, nor in my opinion should it be exhibited so garishly and so obviously on the news. No matter how much anyone thinks they should know about it, I reckon it's a bad case scenario. For instance, there's the idea of shootings that I'm sure we're all aware of, especially since the recent events in Tucson, Arizona. And I find that the more it's glamorised and covered the more certain people will pick up their weapons and go out and get their tragic attention. It's almost turning into a bloody circus, or a charade. Every time this type of violence is conducted there seems to be everybody trying to get their bloody opinion in, or their interest sated. I hate that more than anything. -- I know of the events in Tucson, but I wouldn't dare follow up the damn story, not because I don't care, but because I hate the idea of selling into real violence. Into the real misery that those people must be going through.

The more I look into this sort of news, the worse I feel about my own attitude. -- I don't know if that will makes sense to anyone?

My violent episode (no matter how pathetic and paltry) was not a public event, and I thank God for it - well not God because I don't believe in him, but whatever made it non-public - on the basis that it shamed me enough to see myself doing it. For others to have been there and see it I'd have been bloody distraught. Especially if their opinion filtered through.

I get an impression though, that this was a significant point in my life. to truly understand and appreciate the awfulness of violence, I reckon you need to experience it - like Dabs pointed out - her violent upbringing has helped her see that violence is absolutely fucking shite.
I have found this out via the other side of the fence (being responsible for it)... Which is the best way to learn I do not know... but I do think it's important to learn it.

In all, I guess the brief (and modal) snippets of opinion up there outline the idea of violence that I like to follow: Done if extremely necessary but disliked and not condoned. Is that it? I'm not actually sure...

I think more can be said. -- Oh, this wasn't all for you btw Impact sorry...
:)

Please keep discussing folks.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It is only necessary in defense.
Oh yeah, many times.
Do you indulge in violence in entertainment mediums, such as film, games, music and books?
If you're asking if there's violence in my entertainment, then yes. I don't see the point in avoiding an unavoidable part of our lives.
What are your views on the portrayal of violence?
Fake? Sure, show all the fake violence you want. There should be moral bounds to protect public decency, though. No one wants to see a child getting beaten in a movie that isn't trying to show the horrors of child abuse, for example.
Assess the pros and cons of this indulgence
Most of the points regarding violence can be read in different ways. The biggest problem given is that voilence breeds voilence and that kids who see it on TV are going to be more voilent. I dont' believe that. I do believe that a person's upbringing has a lot more to do with someone's violence level later in life. Pros? People like to see fights, explosions, and murder in entertainment. It's generally a part of plot twists and storylines.
I've got no issue with it at all. Adults are old enough to filter their own entertainment choices and are responsible for what their child watches or hears.
I've made any point that I can think of above.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I've never had to deal with what Dabs had to deal with. And nobody should ever have to deal with something like that. But most of what I watch or read, and video games I play, are violent. Even a lot of the music I listen to. But yeah, there is a lot of difference between those things and real life. And they haven't made me violent. If I HAVE to fight, I will. But I dont like fighting cause it's a little scary since somebody could get hit in a really bad way and be paralyzed or even killed. Imo, violence is just dumb and if 2 people cant hang together without fighting, they should stay away from each other. Fighting is NOT an intelligent way for people to interface.
There's a ton of violence in the news too. I DON'T like watching that cause I know it's real. But it reminds me how bad violence really is and how much people suffer when it happens. And if I didn't see any violence in the news, maybe real violence wouldn't seem as bad as it really is.
Well, media violence hasn't made me wanna be violent so I dont think that's what makes people violent. I think some people are just too stupid or just nuts.

HES, big ups for helping your mom. :)