• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Violence and video games...

T_scout

I didn't see another thread asking this question so I hope I'm not repeating. I was just wondering the opinion of actual gamers and the effects of more violent video games on a person's personality. Science says that they are making killers out of teenagers, does anyone agree?

Reactions: Doc

Old_Man

No, killing and violence in games, does not make teenagers killers.

Whoever told you that?

Is it a known fact?

I doubt it.

Sure, there might be a few teenagers stupid enough to actually do what characters in video games are doing, but if violence in games is making teenagers into killers, then surely that must mean that every other teenager out there is supposedly a killer, or a killer in the making.

That is really stupid, and I disagree with that.

Thanks.

~Old_Man.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well one thing is for sure, the US Army and Marines use the game "Battlefield 2" to help train people for real life combat situations.

People certainly aren't becoming LESS likely to kill by playing games that glorify and reward violence. Just something to chew on.

Old_Man

Yes, I know that, but perhaps that might also influence kids to use the combat skills against other RL people, and become criminals.

But teenagers have a choice, and if they choose to do the wrong thing, then it isnt the games fault, but it is their own.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Psychologically an adolescent is slightly favored in repeating the violent behavior. For teenagers, I don't see how they can blame shooting up an entire school, or killing their partner just because a video game told them to do it. They're just looking for an excuse.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree. Videogames don't "cause" violence. They don't make people commit violent crimes.. BUT, when a person DOES decide to commit a violent crime, often times it can be concluded that they were a fan of one of the following:

1. Violent videogames
2. Violent movies
3. Violent music

It can be concluded that these types of media CAN and in many cases DO influence behavior, but these activities do not cause violence. If somebody is going to become violent, they will do it regardless of a game they played, but the chances are that they will be more prone to move from "contemplating violence" to "using violence" to take out their aggressions.

People play videogames for relaxation. Sometimes after a hard day at work people like to come home and shoot virtual people on their TV or computer screens as a way to "unwind." If this becomes too casual I think that it is something that a person would not consider a 'red flag" as much. Meaning you could one day think about shooting some people, but then think to yourself that you would never do such a thing. Personally I think that these same people will be more prone to actually doing it if they fill their free time with violent games, movies, etc.

It's generally the kids who have no friends or who get bullied a lot. They find violent games relaxing and also in many ways enjoy "acting out" what in their minds they would never actually do. It's only a matter of time before they get lonely enough and convince themselves "why not?"

Just my 2 cents. I believe there is certainly a link. Just look at crime levels before violent entertainment became mainstream.

T_scout

Thanks for the insight. I can agree that there is a connection but I wouldn't blame the makers of the games like so many people are trying to do.

pacman

Yeah, because I just love to fight and kill. Come on, let's get real.
At one point, science said that peanut butter caused cancer too. If so, I ought to be very much dead by now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sceince also said that the world was flat and that the sun revolved around Earth.

I didn't see another thread asking this question so I hope I'm not repeating. I was just wondering the opinion of actual gamers and the effects of more violent video games on a person's personality. Science says that they are making killers out of teenagers, does anyone agree?

Last edited:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Um, pacman, your arguments are unrelated. The fact is that if a kid plays a game in which he is constantly killing people the chances of him actually killing somebody in a similar fashion are increased. MOST people will not be effected to the point of actual violence but the fact still remains that a majority of those who do resort to violent crimes DO have a history of playing violent games, watching violent movies, etc.

I'm not saying that I don't find a good first person shooter to be a good time, but I am saying that some people are effected by these more than others. They should not be banned at all, but instead the parents should be more aware of what their kids are playing.

For example, if your highschool kid plays Quake all the time, should you be worried necessarily? Not immediately. Heck, it's just a videogame. But, how about it your kid starts wearing black trenchcoats around and joins a group called the "Trenchcoat Mafia" who makes light of the use of guns, poses with guns in pictures, among other things.

That's what the two kids responsible for the Columbine massacre did. Sure, Quake did NOT cause them to kill people. It was just one of the ingredients. I'm saying that it's the parents responsibility to notice signs like this and take appropriate action.

However, the fact is that parents most of the time will not care. The unfortunate truth is that there is a chance that violent videogames actually could be banned if this crap continues. Even as we speak several big cities in the US have already outlawed smoking in public places. Smoking was once allowed almost everywhere in the US and nobody really tried to stop it. It's a whole different animal, but even so, if smoking can be stopped, maybe the media can eventually be limited. Freedom of speech is already being restricted in some ways. Freedom of "entertainment" could be next.

Old_Man

Your com
Yeah, because I just love to fight and kill. Come on, let's get real.
At one point, science said that peanut butter caused cancer too. If so, I ought to be very much dead by now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sceince also said that the world was flat and that the sun revolved around Earth.
Your comments have no relation to this topic at all.

~Old_Man.