Vince the announcer

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It was brought up in the JR thread so I've decided to start it's own little thread. Personally I believe Vince did a great job as announcer, he looked very convincing and he didn't commit many mistakes. Personally I rate him fourth or fifth all time in the WWE. Thoughts?

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
In a word? Bad. Or maybe pretty bad. Mediocre? Maybe all of the above.

Ya know the one thing Vince is known for as an announcer besides not knowing the majority of the moves? Saying something like this...

"Oh he hit the splash, he goes for the cover, 1...2...3 he got him! Wait no, he didnt get him!"

He would do that almost every match...drove me nuts as a KID. Vince has a great voice and an obvious passion for the business since he's the chairman but he was a subpar announcer at best.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I've only heard him on old videos I've watched on YouTube, but I actually like him as an announcer a lot. All the announcers fuck up moves, Millz. It's not as bad as the modern commentators whose most frequent mistake is forgetting the names of the wrestlers in the ring.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've only heard him on old videos I've watched on YouTube, but I actually like him as an announcer a lot. All the announcers fuck up moves, Millz. It's not as bad as the modern commentators whose most frequent mistake is forgetting the names of the wrestlers in the ring.
Its not that he messes up the moves it's that he doesn't know the names of the moves in the first place.

He was clueless.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Like I said, I'd rather have a guy who can't remember the ever-changing list of thousands of move names rather that someone who mistakes wrestlers on a smaller roster.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Like I said, I'd rather have a guy who can't remember the ever-changing list of thousands of move names rather that someone who mistakes wrestlers on a smaller roster.
Sure, I hear ya. Vince was probably better then say, Todd Grisham or Michael Cole but I wouldnt place him all that high. I liked his voice...I just didnt like his delivery. I think it speaks volumns that as a 10 year old kid I didnt like him haha. And the countless DVD's I have...its a running joke with my brother and I about how bad Vince was.

But I'll give him SOME credit...just not much.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am just curious Millz, who would you rank in your top five, please rank them from first to fifth.
Never thought of it before so I'll just go from memory...if I think of someone later I'll post it but this is just off the top of my head...

1: Bobby the Brain Heenan
2: Gorilla Monsoon
3: Jim Ross
4: Jesse the Body Ventura
5: John Bradshaw Layfield

Honorable mention to Tazz, Gordon Solie and Lord Alfred Hayes

Anthony1975

Registered Member
Sorry but I thought Vince was fucking awful. Here is an example for you, I watched Superstars of Wrestling one week you know before the days of Raw and Undertaker went to hit the Tombstone and Vince on commentary says " Upside down and down to the canvas" Come on my 2 year old daughter can do better than that shit.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sorry but I thought Vince was fucking awful. Here is an example for you, I watched Superstars of Wrestling one week you know before the days of Raw and Undertaker went to hit the Tombstone and Vince on commentary says " Upside down and down to the canvas" Come on my 2 year old daughter can do better than that shit.
You need to get to 500 posts so I can rep you for comments such as this one. :D

Vince was a very enhusiastic announcer but he lacked way too much...there's no way he would have lasted that long behind the desk if he hadn't been the owner of the company.