Vince Carter = HOF?

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Babe_Ruth, May 27, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I know he still has around 8-10 years left to play till his career is set and done but do you think he's a HOF?

I think he does after looking at this career stats and analyzing everything else

24.1 ppg
    almost 15,000 career points
    Some great season high ppg's
    Possibly the greatest dunker the NBA has ever seen

He's also becoming a more complete player, averaged 6 rpg and 5apg this season.

I wouldn't say he's a lock, but closer then most people give him credit for. A few more years of scoring 24+ and he will be up there with guys like Calvin Murphy, Rick Barry, and Isiah Thomas

2. TDG1987

TDG1987 Registered Member

As of right now, Vince Carter is not a Hall of Famer IMO. Maybe Hall of Very Good, but definitely not HOF material. To me, this is the classic case of a player's highlight reel making him look better than he really is. Carter's never been on the All-NBA 1st team, has only been on the 2nd team once and only been on the 3rd team once. I don't believe he's ever been in the top-5 in MVP voting either. Vince also hasn't been much of a winner in the playoffs either. With his lack of playoff success, his career numbers need to be closer to 25, 7, and 7 or avg. close to 30 ppg, which he hasn't done. He's also missed a fair amount of time due to injury so that hurts him as well. Another thing is that he admitted to not playing hard all the time in Toronto. Just this year, he disappeared in the playoffs against the Cavs, content to settle for jump shots, and turning the ball over in critical moments. Yes he does have a lot of other accomplishments, but overall, I don't think they're enough to warrant a spot in the Hall.

3. DKA9

DKA9 Guest

he will be one but atm he isnt one, due to him playing around and not taking things serious.

4. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

that sounds pretty bang dead on.

5. Black Sheep1

Black Sheep1 Guest

What has he ever accomplished worth something? How many MVPS, finals?? People will only remember him as an underachiever

6. Babe_Ruth

He still has around 8-10 years left to play. No he hasn't won any MVP's and he hasn't gone further then the second round playoffs, but he was one shot away of going to the Eastern Conference finals in 2001, and he's the one that led them there. Yes he did admit that he didn't play has hard has he could at the end of his days with Toronto which will hurt him, but I believe that he still has things to prove, and he has at least 6-7 years left to show that he does belong in the hall.

7. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

If he continues to average 24-26 ppg throughout the remainder of his career and 5&5 for rebounds/assists then yeah he'll be like and adrian dantley, alex english type who will get some consideration for his statistical accomplishments rather than team or trophy orientated accomplishments.

here's a good look at a HOF monitor and where they currently have Vince

http://www.databasebasketball.com/leaders/leadershof.htm

click on the about HOF monitor to see their scoring formula.

8. Babe_Ruth

See I believe that Carter will continue to average around 23ppg for another seven years or so, and I think that he'll be looking to be more of a playmaker in the next couple of seasons, as you can in his few seasons his assists per game have risen, and I believe that will continue for the rest of his career. He won't be has explosive has he was in the past, but he can score at will and that will continue.

9. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

well it's hard to say what he will do the rest of his career.
    Injuries may shorten his career like a Grant Hill and his career accomplishments up until now may not be enough.
    Over time he may have scored enough and done enough to be a HOF'er.
    he's just not a sure thing right now IMO

10. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

He's had a tremendous career but whenever you dont win a title or get close to the finals it's going to be very hard to make the Hall of Fame. But like Michael Jordan said he still as 8-10 years left in the NBA so he as a lot of time to get a title. But also Vince Carter as put up tremendous numbers so far, so I beleive if he gets that elusive Larry O'brian trophy he'll be a lock for the Hall. But if he doesn't get it then he'll need to keep putting points on the board or else it will be very hard for him to make it.