• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Video games vs health

Which method do you use for exercise?

• Total voters

toocool

Registered Member
how do you keep healthy?

i play the Wii. WiiFitness, that is.

i also keep fit when i am running late for school in the mornings (damn buses. lol)

give your tips on keeping fit (both outside, and inside in front of that TV).

i like to exercise with WiiFitPlus.

the idea of this thread is to discuss which method of exercise is best: exercise in front of a TV, or excersise outside

which do you think? and please give reasons why that is what you think.

i like the Wii because you can turn the TV over watch whatever you like when doing certain exercises. but that doesn't mean its the best. its just an extra feature.

Last edited:

stripes

Registered Member
I use a mix of both. I do a lot of walking each week. Six to eight miles a day, to and from work, and occasional walking at the weekends, but I also play Kinect a lot and go on Your Shape and The Biggest Loser.

I like both for different reasons. Walking is something I'm happy to do as a part of my normal routine, with a destination in mind. It means I'm exercising without really thinking about it.

Kinect is more conscious, but I do a set hour and feel like I've achieved something - plus, it's better for my toning. A week of Kinect and my stomach is tighter - I don't get that the same walking as much as I do.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I think a mix is good. What I like about the wii is that it encourages you to do something every day, at least if you're an OC person like I am and don't like to see blank dates on your calendar. I do yoga on wii fit every day, but I also like to get outside and go for long walks or go hiking. I'd like to start doing something else, too, just to mix it up and keep it fun.

I have the EA Trainer, whatever it's called, for wii, and I like that too although I haven't done it in ages. It's pretty decent but doesn't really have anything for your abs.

toocool

Registered Member
these threads aren't very famous!

anyway, i never excersise.

i forgot to add an option to the poll, mental exercise.

if you do that, tell us

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I don't use any of the motion controlled video games to keep fit. Instead I do strength exercises and run.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I use a mix of both. I do a lot of walking each week. Six to eight miles a day, to and from work, and occasional walking at the weekends, but I also play Kinect a lot and go on Your Shape and The Biggest Loser.

I like both for different reasons. Walking is something I'm happy to do as a part of my normal routine, with a destination in mind. It means I'm exercising without really thinking about it.

Kinect is more conscious, but I do a set hour and feel like I've achieved something - plus, it's better for my toning. A week of Kinect and my stomach is tighter - I don't get that the same walking as much as I do.
I wish I could walk more. Well, I know I can, but I get so bored when walking without a purpose, so if the only purpose is exercise then I last five minutes before turning around. When I was in Scotland, my family and friends and myself would walk to places. Sometimes we didn't have a reason, but the conversation occupied my mind enough to go with it. I spent six weeks there and easily averaged 10 miles a day. Especially the night I would go drinking, I would take a bus to the glasgow bus station, then have to walk three miles to my friends flat, and then we'd take the subway to the club, which was another three miles. I seriously was in the best shape of my life.

But here it is way too hot to walk and since I have a car, I don't really have a reason. I bought tai chi dvds and I have been doing that every other day... I wish I could get kinect, it sounds awesome, but I have about two feet of room between my tv and bed. So I don't have enough room. I know I could do it in the living room, but my parents like to mock me when I do stuff like that. I know they don't mean harm but I am very sensitive about that stuff. I have been standing more when I play video games, as well as stretching and such.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'm sure the wii fit and others are pretty good, and you can get a decent workout with them. I don't think though it can compare to strength training and cardio workouts. I have weights that I workout with 3 times a week, and a heavy bag and a treadmill I use for cardio about 5 times a week, and I occassionally jog outside. I don't think any video game can match workouts like that.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
As a gamer and a runner, I prefer running instead of looking like a fool in my living room. Like CO brought up, WII Fit is actually pretty decent and a good workout, but using crap like the Kinect just doesn't cut it. Running for me is the best excercise.

lilmisshissyfit

Registered Member
I do a good mixture of both so couldn't really vote, i do just dance, zumba and wii fit on the wii then i swim, run, gym and take a zumba class.