• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Video game regulation, parents or the government

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know we've touched on this topic several times before, and I know how much Cons loves debating about this certain subject, so I decided to bring it back to life.

In your opinion, who should regulate video games for young children? Parents or the Government?

Impact

V.I.P.
I believe the government, or whatever department they chose to do it, should be responsible for rating the video games. If it's violent or offensive, then make it an 18 when people can make informed decisions themselves whether they think it's suitable for them. For younger gamers, it should be the parents job to regulate what they let their kids play, just like it is for movies, internet, music, etc. Of course, there will always be bad parents, but the government should target them in differents ways, rather than the majority of good parents.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I believe the government, or whatever department they chose to do it, should be responsible for rating the video games. If it's violent or offensive, then make it an 18 when people can make informed decisions themselves whether they think it's suitable for them. For younger gamers, it should be the parents job to regulate what they let their kids play, just like it is for movies, internet, music, etc. Of course, there will always be bad parents, but the government should target them in differents ways, rather than the majority of good parents.
I agree with this. I don't have all day to check every game and movie to be sure it's ok to play. The kids can bring in anything E for their DSI. If its above E, its going in the trash. Friends of mine let their kids play T and M and I could care less what they do and don't think the government should be involved beyond ratings.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
There is a ratings board already. The government doesn't need to be involved whatsoever. Movies have a ratings board, so does gaming. Personally, I never understood why all these misguided parents and desperate politicians even made this an issue in the first place. They're under this false idea that gaming influences kids to do bad things (you know, unlike TV, movies, books, music, etc.) and thus games should be treated like drugs.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
They're under this false idea that gaming influences kids to do bad things (you know, unlike TV, movies, books, music, etc.) and thus games should be treated like drugs.
I would just like to point out that TV, movies, books, music AND video games all can influence kids to do bad things. They can also influence kids to do good things. Now, while I've seen TV shows, movies, books and music that can influence kids to do good things, I have yet to find a video game that will do the same. Generic non violent video games don't encourage kids to be better people. Violent video games DO often times have a psychological effect on kids. And it's not just the violence. Honestly I'd be more worried about my kids playing on XBOX Live or PC with voice chat than playing a questionable game in single player mode.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Violent video games DO often times have a psychological effect on kids.
There's no evidence for it though. Every study that "proves" that video games affect children that has been looked at by the scientific community has been shown to have been screwed with to get the result the "researchers" wanted.

Studies done right, on the other hand have come to the conclusion that video games, on their own, are extremely unlikely to affect people. It's more likely to be a mish-mash of other factors, such as school life, mental stability, the role of the parents in the child's life, etc.

I'm reminded of a story where a kid stabbed a homeless person to death and later claimed that video games made him did it. The mother and people who knew the family on the other hand have said that he's simply an evil child who, despite whatever the parents tried to get him to be good, had grown up that way.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I would just like to point out that TV, movies, books, music AND video games all can influence kids to do bad things.
How? Link?

Violent video games DO often times have a psychological effect on kids. And it's not just the violence.
Link?

I've done a lot of research on the subject and I've seen a lot of lies and heard a lot of theories. As Storm pointed out, the conclusion the scientific realm has come to at the moment is that this assumption that games cause certain behaviors in children is entirely false and that the 'effects' of playing a lot of violent or sexual games is entirely dependent on loads of factors. You can't just sit a kid down in front of God of War and expect him to break out in Greek war cries as he slaughters the cat and then his family. Sad part is, a lot of politicians and parents think this way.

I read a pretty awesome book called Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Super Heroes, and Make-Believe Violence by Gerard Jones, a comic book author and writer who has spent a lot of time in a medium that used to come under heavy and regular scrutiny for "destroying our youth" as video games do today. It was a good read especially from someone within a media realm like this. The book presents a lot of great points about fantasy violence and how we do not perceive it properly.

Honestly I'd be more worried about my kids playing on XBOX Live or PC with voice chat than playing a questionable game in single player mode.
This is where your job as a parent comes in. The government has nothing to do with this part or any part.