Video Game Addiction

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Merc, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I Kept Playing — The Costs Of My Gaming Addiction - gaming addiction - Kotaku

Read this story first before responding.

What do you think of video game addictions? Is it real? Have you heard stories like the one above? Do you think the games are at fault? Or is it solely the person? Perhaps a mix of the two?

In my mind, an addiction is an addiction. I don't get why many of them are specified as addictions are put in place of real problems so people don't have to deal with them. People hide like Mr. Fahey did in the above article, he knew it and admitted it. Someone could have done the same with the internet, knitting, or bicycling. I think a specific "video game addiction" is mostly a bullshit buzz-phrase, but with the depth of modern gaming, I think that titles offering a much more in-depth experience is something very, very attractive to someone looking to get away from the world or their problems.

What do you think?

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

A game is a game, just like you dont blame the Alcohol you blame the Alcoholic.

I personally liked this quote because its the simple truth for any addict be it drugs, alcohol, or even this situation:

I think we as society do find it to easy to just blame something else rather than the person that brought it upon themselves. We as people are supposed to be responsible for ourselves, we are supposed to be responsible for our decisions and our own life. I find it weak minded and weak willed to blame a substance of escape instead of taking responsibility for our own actions.

Gaming is an amazing escape... it is highly addicting. I can most definitely testify to that. Hell I could even almost associate with some of the things the guy in the article said he did. I've been there where it feels like "ok I'm just a few minutes from my next promotion! Why is everyone trying to keep me from doing this!". And like he said the irony is that in truth its all sort of meaningless. "But I'm important to my clanmates to"..... how stupid is that when you really think about the big picture of things. lol but like I said, hell I've had that same thought myself where I start to weigh what I'd rather do.... Play the game....or Take my fiance to dinner..... It takes some serious will power sometimes to choose her over myself and thats not because I love her any less or love the game more than her. It does come down to just hiding in my own little world.

Addiction is Addiction is Addiction... in the end the blame belongs to the Addict because IMO everyone has the ability to make the right decision... but we also have the ability to make the wrong decisions and I dont care what the substance is, we all know what is right and what is wrong. Its just a matter of Making the bed you sleep in.

3. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Video game addiction is very real. Look at the "hardcore gamers" most of them are addicted to some kind of video game. I mean the most famous games are MMO's, where a person can essentially create a whole new life for themselves or a game like Sims. However, I've met a few that have been addicted to different games as well.

I don't think the game developers are to be blamed for this addiction really, they are just creating an innocent product. I mean that's like blaming soda companies for people getting addicted to soda. Now it'd be different if the gaming companies discovered some psychological trigger to make people addicted and started playing off that trigger to create games. Weird thought, no? Ha.

Anyway, video game addiction is real, one of my best friends wasted 3 years of his life on WoW, and I do mean wasted 3 years. We're talking 8-20 hours a day on that damned game. He's just now getting out of the house and doing other things. We go play pool and bowl and shit like that where he can focus on a task and still get out and mingle with people. It's worked out pretty well.

4. Merc

I'm not doubting that it's real. I just think people blame the games much like people like to blame the gun for the crime. It makes no sense and totally ignores the human element. To me, someone with an addiction has a hole in their life and whatever their addiction is, it fills that void.

5. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I completely agree with this. I can't stand when people blame video games for every problem under the sun, including this. The fact is: the person needed a coping mechanism and instead of moving past the coping mechanism, it became a necessity in their life, not a luxury.

I mean even my friend admits that he was just running away from life and growing up. You can play games, enjoy them, and even escape reality with them without being addicted. Once video games BECOME your reality, you've got a problem.

6. Merc

I just hate how people and advocates use this as a vehicle to try and promote games as a destructive force when it's probably a safe bet that they go home and have a few fingers of whiskey before passing out on the couch.

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

It doesnt really even have to be a hole though... it could be a pile of stress. I know when I have a hard day of work that has be super stressed... theres nothing I like to do more than to escape in some little Virtual world and slaughter Nazi Zombies or whatever the Enemy is at the time.

I do know that people tend to know whether they have Addictive personalities, for instance I know I have a very addictive personality hence why I avoid all types of drugs and completely moderate myself when it comes to alcohol. I dont do it so much with video games but I do have other people that keep me from completely diving in headfirst and never coming out. But had it not been for them... I dont doubt one second that I'd be a perfect example of a Video Game Addict. Hell I'm going to be feigning like a junkie every day for the first month or two that COD:MW2 comes out, thinking about it all day... not being able to completely focus. Its gonna be rough and I know I'll have the days where I'll wish for nothing more than to just stay home and play it all day. But I cant blame Infinity Ward for that, its up to me to realize when I need to get up and eat, venture back into the real world, :hah:

8. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

it's not the game to be blamed. it's the person, obviously.
    everything is there for a reason so it matters the attitude we keep towards it.
    there are people addicted to internet, do we say it's internet's fault of it's the fault of people who invented the internet? no. it's the person who crosses the line and doesn't put a limit to everything.
    so, just like sui says, if video games is your life, then the problem is yours. find a way out and don't blame video games because they'll always be there no matter what.

9. hoborobo

hoborobo New Member

It's real, hell I have suffered from it. What I do believe is that there is a lot of worry and fear mongering amougst the media. People are being conviced into thinking that all video games will create addiction for all gamers if done to an extent. The Media also focuse so much more on video game addiction. They demonise it because it is new and somehow it is scary to them.