Verizon Wireless Buys Alltel for $28.1 Billion

From PhoneScoop.com

Verizon Wireless Buys Alltel for $28.1 Billion

Yesterday, 10:14 AM by Eric M. Zeman updated Yesterday, 9:24 AM

Verizon Wireless has agreed to acquire Alltel from the private equity firms that currently own the nation's fifth-largest national wireless provider. Verizon Wireless will acquire Alltel's assets, including 13 million customers and coverage in 57 markets where it has no presence, as well as Alltel's debt. The merged companies will surpass AT&T's 71 million customers to become the nation's largest provider of wireless goods and services with 80 million customers. The move will greatly expand the regions where Alltel's customers can roam without incurring fees, and also gives Verizon's customers greater freedoms in the rural markets where Verizon previously had no coverage. The merger should be completed by the end of 2008, depending on the required regulatory approvals.

linkage Verizon Wireless To Acquire Alltel; Will Expand Nation’s Most Reliable Wireless Network

I work for at&t in NE PA, im curious to how everyone feels about this if your a Alltel Customer? Didn't see a Wireless/Mobile area on the forums, hopefully we can get something going.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's pretty big news. I always viewed Alltel as the underdog when it came to phones. Them and Cricket.

Verizon made a good purchase here.

Can you hear me now?

TimmehD

Registered Member
Buhaha, I love the irony.

Verizon openly mocked in the Alltel commercials and then they get bought out by them, beautiful. I'm with Verizon by the way and the service is spectacular.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I use Sprint myself but I've always liked the Verizon commercials the best. You're right though. I forgot Alltel was getting cracks in about Verizon.

I think they might stop doing that now that are "under new management..."

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
You know I don't have alltell, but everything is merged with something or bought by someone these days. 28 billyions? I didn't know Alltell had that kind of bank, the phone hustle is still a pretty serious game.

Last edited:

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
"What is up Chad? The unemployment line?" :D I guess Verizon got fed up with those Alltel commericials and did something about it.

Blueyes

Registered Member
Eventually it will be just to big companies, probably Verizon now that they bought out Alltel and AT&T. I get my service from Suncon which is part of the AT&T network which bought out Cingulair so go figure.