• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Venture capitalist in bid to split California into six states

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A venture capitalist seeking to break California into six new states has won approval to begin collecting signatures needed to get his plan on the ballot in November, but experts said such a measure likely stands little chance of success.
The proposal, which would also require approval by the Congress, would split California into six new states called Jefferson, North California, Silicon Valley, Central California, West California and South California.
Under the plan, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara would be part of "West California," while San Francisco and San Jose would be in "Silicon Valley."
"California, as it is, is ungovernable," proponent Tim Draper, founder of the venture capital firm Draper Fisher Jurvetson, said in a statement released by his office on Thursday.
"It is more and more difficult for Sacramento to keep up with the social issues from the various regions of California. With six Californias, people will be closer to their state governments and states can get a refresh," Draper said.
California Secretary of State Debra Bowen said on Tuesday that the proposal needs the signatures of 807,615 registered voters by July 14 to qualify as a ballot measure in November's elections.
When I was in junior high and I don't remember if it was 8th or 9th grade I was in History class and students were to be asked in class about a new proposed law about Calif. being divided into 2 states. One called northern and the other Southern Calif.

There was also a proposal that they wanted to change the name of out city. Instead of Newark and since there is a Newark NJ they wanted to call us Newark by the Bay.
So as one should know it never passed.

I think this is a bad idea and they have more important things that they should be worried about. The biggest being their recent drought situation.

Last edited:

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A venture capitalist seeking to break California into six new states has won approval to begin collecting signatures needed to get his plan on the ballot in November, but experts said such a measure likely stands little chance of success.
The proposal, which would also require approval by the Congress, would split California into six new states called Jefferson, North California, Silicon Valley, Central California, West California and South California.
Under the plan, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara would be part of "West California," while San Francisco and San Jose would be in "Silicon Valley."
Venture capitalist in bid to split California into six states: Thomson Reuters Business News - MSN Money

Can someone please tell me how to use the quotes so I can keep this article?:sigh:

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Hi Reason. There's a very simple way to do this.

If you hover over all of the options on the quick reply box you'll see that one says "Wrap
rage around selected text" Clicking this button will do just that, it will wrap quote tags around whatever text you have highlighted. Not too difficult :)

For example, if I wanted to quote you I would copy and paste what you said into my post. I would then add quote tags around what I copied. It would look like this...

Can someone please tell me how to use the quotes so I can keep this article?
Anyway, in response to the article. I do not see this happening. The fact that it would require the approval of congress makes it look basically impossible. California is worth a whole lot of electoral votes and I do not see a democrat controlled congress allowing for their most valuable state to be split up into 6, you can bet that suddenly another party (presumably Republican) would start receiving electoral votes.

I do think it would be good for the state economically. They have been having some real problems lately.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would be against such a move if I lived there and I doubt that it happens. I really don't see how California is so ungovernable from Sacramento, each district has representatives there. Sure its big and has a lot of people but I have to wonder what the real reason is they want to do this is.

dDave

V.I.P.
I would be against such a move if I lived there and I doubt that it happens. I really don't see how California is so ungovernable from Sacramento, each district has representatives there. Sure its big and has a lot of people but I have to wonder what the real reason is they want to do this is.
Why would they want to do this?

-California has the 8th largest economy in the world
-The state of California is completely bankrupt
-They've proven it's NOT governable from Sacramento given the position they're in.

If you want to look for an economic mess, look no further than California. They're in debt up to their eyeballs and a lot of people seem to not care at all.

Things are so bad in California that people are actually leaving. Y'all are going to think I sound crazy when I say this but something like 30-40% of the people I meet that move to Colorado come from California and they all tell me that they love the state but they ALWAYS cite the politics and economics as a serious problem.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why would they want to do this?

-California has the 8th largest economy in the world
-The state of California is completely bankrupt
-They've proven it's NOT governable from Sacramento given the position they're in.

If you want to look for an economic mess, look no further than California. They're in debt up to their eyeballs and a lot of people seem to not care at all.

Things are so bad in California that people are actually leaving. Y'all are going to think I sound crazy when I say this but something like 30-40% of the people I meet that move to Colorado come from California and they all tell me that they love the state but they ALWAYS cite the politics and economics as a serious problem.
I'm not denying that California doesn't have problems but I just don't see how splitting it up will help. They are still going to have the same problems and that debt will have to be divided up between all the new states.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't see a split up into 6 States as doing a whole lot to be honest. 6 seems like a lot too...I've heard of splitting the State in 2 before but nothing like this.

I don't see it happening.