• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Vegetarians and Fast Food

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Just a question to all the other vegetarians and vegans of the forum. Do you eat fast food? When you do what type do you eat?

I was out with a vegetarian friend the other day who wanted something cheap to eat, so she got McDonalds and got a cheeseburger with no patty. So it was just bread, cheese, pickles and sauce. It doesn't sound very appealing to me but to each their own.

I sometimes eat the fries from McDonalds because I know they are cooked in vegetable oil. but nothing else really.

When it comes to fast food I tend to go for these:

Lord of the Fries: Australian chain store. Entire place is 100% vegetarian burgers, fries, hotdogs etc. Most of the menu can be had vegan too.

Hungry Jacks: I think it's the Australian name for Buger King. They have a veggie burger.

Subway: I love the veggie patties you can get at subway.

Asian places: Sushi, fried rice, dumplings etc. Always lots of vegetarian fare here.

Falconer

Registered Member
Subway veggie patties! I definitely agree with you there, they're great.

That's about all the fast food I eat, except for pizza al taglio from the place where I work-- I actually see them being cooked and I know how strict we are on keeping meat and veggie separate, so I trust that. Anywhere else… well, McDonald's here has a veggie wrap that they state on the menu is "not Vegetarian Society approved", which doesn't seem right to me. I mean, work isn't VegSoc approved either but why advertise the fact? Did McDonald's try to get approval and had to write that because they were denied it? I just don't quite like that…

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
Oh, I think I just assumed McDonalds would have a veggie burger. A patty-less burger sounds gross. But then again, not a huge bread fan.

I don't understand the veggie wrap thing, either. I'm sure they wouldn't state it wasn't vegsoc approved if they didn't have to but really, how hard can it be to make sure something is veggie friendly?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Subway veggie patties! I definitely agree with you there, they're great.

That's about all the fast food I eat, except for pizza al taglio from the place where I work-- I actually see them being cooked and I know how strict we are on keeping meat and veggie separate, so I trust that. Anywhere else… well, McDonald's here has a veggie wrap that they state on the menu is "not Vegetarian Society approved", which doesn't seem right to me. I mean, work isn't VegSoc approved either but why advertise the fact? Did McDonald's try to get approval and had to write that because they were denied it? I just don't quite like that…
I'm the same. Since I know how the pizza at my own work is made I'm usually okay getting the vegetarian pizza's from there. The meat is always kept seperate.

As for McDonalds, the menu is different everywhere, and we don't have veggie wraps here. Or any veggie burger. The only things vegetarian are the fries, hash browns etc.

An interesting fact. Most places like subway, Mcdonalds, Hungry Jacks etc deliberatly advertise their food as "veggie" and not "vegetarian". This is because if they call it "vegetarian" and some meat is found in it then they can sue the business. But if it's the word 'veggie' instead then they can claim that they didn't say it was vegetarian.

Oh, I think I just assumed McDonalds would have a veggie burger. A patty-less burger sounds gross. But then again, not a huge bread fan.

I don't understand the veggie wrap thing, either. I'm sure they wouldn't state it wasn't vegsoc approved if they didn't have to but really, how hard can it be to make sure something is veggie friendly?
I actually just thought, these places are different in every country. So McDonalds in Australia doesn't have a veggie burger, but it might in other countries. We don't have the wraps here either. On the other hand most other burger places do have veggie burgers here.

I don't get it either...
When I want to get some fast food I always go to asian places. They have a lot of vegetarian plates and most of them taste just great!
Yeah most Asian places are great for vegetarian food. Especially 'Noodle Box' type places where you can customise your own dish. Or places with sushi because there's heaps of vegetarian sushi. I always find it weird when people think sushi is only fish. I've been eating sushi for years and I've never had it wish fish.

Scissorhands

Registered Member
Up until my recent job loss, I was doing everything I could to eat healthy. But I went farther than vegetarian and vegan, both. I was eating organic raw fruits and vegetables, etc. Things that fall into the whole raw food agenda.

I guess some people become vegetarian because they are against how animals are treated to make the meat, some people choose vegan because of that as well, and because dairy products are bad for you, but some people go completely organic raw food for their health; that's the route I took.

So when I had income I tried not to go to fast food places. But now it's kind of inevitable for survival. Although it's not healthy, really, it's definitely healthier when I go to Taco Bell and get just a veggie burrito with pico de gallo.

There's not many healthy options at fast food places. Even if they advertise that it's healthy, it really doesn't mean that it is. When I can afford to eat right and someone I'm with wants to go to a fast food place, I pack a lunch. ;)

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
You're suggesting that vegetarians will try and seek the healthiest options when out looking for food. Fast-food places aren't healthy, that's why it's fast food. When I want to go out and eat a burger and chips, I don't do it because it's a healthy choice, I do it because I just want to binge a little. Vegetarian or not that food isn't healthy for you. I don't often see fast food places advertising their stuff as healthy. Unless it's like... subway. And most of the time that isn't really healthy anyway, with all the cheese and sauces.

Scissorhands

Registered Member
You're suggesting that vegetarians will try and seek the healthiest options when out looking for food. Fast-food places aren't healthy, that's why it's fast food. When I want to go out and eat a burger and chips, I don't do it because it's a healthy choice, I do it because I just want to binge a little. Vegetarian or not that food isn't healthy for you. I don't often see fast food places advertising their stuff as healthy. Unless it's like... subway. And most of the time that isn't really healthy anyway, with all the cheese and sauces.
They've been playing on people's ignorance the last decade or so: "Only BLANK amount of fat" or so many calories. Ugh, disgusting how they work!

linic

Registered Member
I love having a veggie patty from Subway and in Indian food, the best thing for me is North Indian food. I don't really prefer having Mc Donalds burger.