• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Vegetarianism?

Flashmutt

So... I'm unhappy with my weight, and I've tried nearly EVERYTHING. and I've heard that vegetarianism is a really good and healthy way to lose weight and feel better? Is this true? Along with exercise of course.
I was just thinking about cutting down on my red meat consumption, because let's be honest here, I love eating chickens way too much to not. But yeah. Any vegetarians out there willing to attest to it's effectiveness at improving overall health?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hmm, there already is a thread about vegetarianism here but that is more an ethical reason thread. I'll see what I can do though.

As far as losing weight goes, vegetarianism may or may not work for you. I have been veggie for 6 years now and started for ethical reasons, never health reasons. In that time my weight has mainly stayed the same but my overall health has improved greatly. I hardly get sick at all now, I feel more energized in day to day life and just feel healthier all over.

Some people can be vegetarian and still eat nothing but fried food, chocolate, chips, lollies etc etc and still maintain a high weight. If you want to use vegetarianism for weight issues then you still need to be strict on yourself when it comes to high-fat food. It's true that red meat is high fat and not very good for you, but you still need to watch your veggie diet. If you expect to become vegetarian and lose weight straight away... that won't happen.

On a positive note though vegetarianism greatly reduces the risk of many diseases. Such as heart disease, colon cancer etc etc. And while you may not lose weight straight away it's easier to maintain a good weight on a veggie diet. You don't see many obese vegetarians around.

I hope that helps somewhat, I think it's a good idea though. But just remember if you do decide to stop eating red meat but continue eating chicken then you cannot refer to yourself as 'vegetarian' and actually use the word. A real vegetarian eats no poultry, seafood etc.

Flashmutt

I really appreciate this. I don't really eat any high fat or high calorie foods as it is, it's just that nothing else is working, and my friend is a vegetarian and I remember when she chose to stop eating meat; she lost about ten pounds. I also want to feel healthier, as you said. Currently I just feel so sluggish and weighed down, and I'm tired of it. Literally.
As for just cutting out red meat, I was thinking, and why not cut out poultry, as I don't like seafood as it is. So I think I'm gonna try being a vegetarian, and see if it helps me feel any better.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I do have a friend as well who lost a lot of weight when he turned vegetarian, but that is not the case for most people. In fact most people who turn veggie won't see any noticeable change in their weight straight away.

I think you should give it a go though, and post in this thread about your progress as I would be interested to see.

Shwa

V.I.P.
I would like to know exactly what you're been trying since you've claimed you've done "everything" to lose weight. Personally, I couldn't cut out a major part of your food group (mostly meats and fish) just to lose some weight. It's healthier yes, but in the long run you're missing and neglecting your body of valuable nutrients.

~Shwa

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
in the long run you're missing and neglecting your body of valuable nutrients.

~Shwa
I'd like to disagree with this. Humans are naturally vegetarians and just because we can eat meat doesn't mean we should. Most vegetarians live extremely healthy lives, even healthier than some of their carnivore friends as there is such a thing as too much protein. Going vegetarian for health or ethical reasons is a great idea.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'd like to disagree with this. Humans are naturally vegetarians and just because we can eat meat doesn't mean we should. Most vegetarians live extremely healthy lives, even healthier than some of their carnivore friends as there is such a thing as too much protein. Going vegetarian for health or ethical reasons is a great idea.
The idea that humans are naturally vegetarians is opinion. The ability to consume multiple types of diets actually makes us omnivores although you are correct that vegetarians can have nutrient balanced diets as well. I'd also argue that if Flashmutt hasn't been able to keep a diet for more than a month, something as restrictive as vegetarianism is not going to help.

I agree with Shwa, Flash, I want to hear what you've tried. If the meat you eat the most of is chicken, that's not going to be a huge problem unless it's fried. White meats are good meats, red meats will cause you more problems. Do you stay active? If so, how? How long have you been trying to lose weight?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Actually, Crouton, we are not naturally vegetarians. There is no plant source of vitamin B12, which is crucial to survival. Doing a healthy vegetarian diet takes a great deal of commitment in order to do it right. Including dairy and eggs makes it easier, but you're not going to get the same weight loss benefits unless you limit those items.

The human brain is around 1150 cc, which is much larger than the brain size of early hominids. Brain size started increasing when early hominids started eating meat. We evolved the way we did because we are meat eaters. It doesn't mean that we have to be now, but we do have to be careful if we don't eat meat, especially if we don't eat any animal products at all.

So to the OP, a vegetarian diet will not necessarily lend itself to weight loss so much as being mindful of your caloric intake vs. your body's needs.

masey

Registered Member
I was just gonna say about the B12 thing. My dad is a veggie and has to have B12 injections every now and then.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Okay guys I have to disagree again. Humans actually ARE naturally vegetarians. Studies have proven it. There was a time when we were in one of our early caveman stages, I think before we could walk on two legs that we were only vegetarian. Now vegetarians and carnivores have VERY different insides, and too this day everything about a humans insides relate to a herbivorous animal, not a carnivorous one.

Here's one example:
Carnivorous animals have really short intestines so that meat products can get to the stomach quickly and be broken down in stomach juice. Herbivorous animals have really long intestines because plant matter breaks down differently and can travel further until it reaches the stomach.
Humans in fact have really long intestines, longer than any natural meat-eating animal on the planet. So basically our insides don't match any meat-eating animal on the planet but they do match all herbivorous animals.

When humans eat large quantities of red meat it is actually rotten BEFORE it reaches the stomach. This is not natural. If we were natural carnivores then we would have short intestines designed for meat, but we don't.

Of course this rotten meat isn't life threatening or anything, and anyone who eats a diet high in fibre shouldn't be affected by it. It is however probably the reason there is colon cancer present in people who eat meat but that disease is basically non existent in vegetarianism.

That's some pretty clear sicentific evidence right there. And that's only ONE example. I have many.

By the way I read that in a book written by a world renowned dietician and nutritionist His book was not about vegetarian, converting people to vegetarianism for ethical reasons or anything, it was literally just about human health and he was the one who said all this. So I got all this information from a non-biased source.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wade8813 Breaking News 4