• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Vegetable Side Dishes

Impact

V.I.P.
I always get sick of just plain old boiled veges or salads as a side dish, so use this thread to share some recipes for interesting vegetable based side dishes.

I have two that are really simple...neither of them actually have names though

Dish 1

1 head of cauliflower
1 head of brocolli
cream of celery soup
cheese

Cut up the brocolli and cauliflower into florets, and then cut them in half. The smaller the pieces are the better. Mix up the cream of celery soup with equal parts water. Grate about 150-250g of cheese, depending how healthy you want to be. Mix all this up in an oven proof dish and bake for an hour at 180 degrees Celsius.

I know the idea of celery soup is pretty gross (I was really sceptical to try it), but the dish actually tastes really good. Feeds about 3-4 as a side dish.

Dish 2

Half a white cabbage
2 carrots
mixed herbs (2 teaspoons I guess, I generally just do it to taste)
butter

Shred the cabbage, and grate the carrots. Fry off in the butter with the herbs until the cabbage is soft. Generally takes about 10 minutes over a medium to low heat. Again, feeds 3-4 people as a side dish.

Last edited:

Iris

rainbow 11!
Stacey Snacks: Broccoli Bites for Kids - StumbleUpon

These look AMAZING. I really want to make them, in fact I will be later on today! I will let you know how they go. The picture looks incredible.
------
Alrighty, so I made the broccoli bites and they are delicious, a must try for everyone.

You need 1 and a half a cup of cheese, I used reduced fat cheddar in that picture. One cup of bread crumbs, I used progresso's italian mix. And three eggs!

Mix that up while you steam the broccoli. The recipe in the above calls for 16 oz but I used eight and they come out great. Granted, you can add or take whatever you want. Also, do NOT use a whisk. It's a pain, I used a fork and had no problems.

I won't lie, at this point it smelled and looked like cat vomit. But when you get to this part, you need to divvy the mix up into patties and put them on a baking sheet, over parchment paper. The woman says to use your hands, but it is messy as fuck. When I made a second batch, in the oven now!, I used a spoon and it doesn't have the same shape, really. But who cares?

The end result! It's so yummy. I'm thinking of making them with a pot roast and soaking in gravy, that would be even better.

/drool

Last edited:

laserlight

Registered Member
I really like fried okra. Heres my favorite recipee.

2 pounds okra
1/2 cup buttermilk
6 cups cooking oil
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Put the cooking oil in a heavy skillet and put it on the stove. It should be 1/2 full of oil.
Put the buttermilk in a bowl.
Cut the okra into 1/4 inch wide pieces.
Mix everything else up in another bowl.

Heat up the oil till its 350 degrees f.
Dip the okra in the buttermilk then coat it with the corn meal mix. Put it in the skillet very carefully so it wont splash and cook it till its golden brown. Use a spatula and put it on paper towels. Eat it hot! =D

Last edited: