• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

vegans and vegeterians

Random9

Registered Member
although to some extent i understand vegans/vegetarians,what i don't understand is how both exist,i would assume that they would agree what exactly is considered abuse towards animals and there would only be one of them but that doesn't happen.
if a vegan considers eating eggs to somehow make animals suffer why won't a vegetarian agree?(or if a vegetarian consider eating eggs to not make animals suffer why wouldn't a vegan agree)
i mean suffering is pretty obvious,so there shouldn't be much to argue over.
could someone with more knowledge about vegans/vegetarians explain what ideas set them apart?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't think vegans do it entirely because animals suffer, they just abstain from animal products as a whole because they don't wish to be a part of the cycle at all while vegetarians have no problems with some animal products but not the meat part of it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
This is complicated. For the large part the reason vegetarians do not follow veganism isn't because they do not "agree" with the idea of it, but maybe they just haven't worked up to it yet.

I am a vegetarian who agrees wholeheartedly with vegans, and I would like to be vegan myself one day. The only reason I am not one already is due simply to my lack of self-control. Being vegetarian for me is easy. So easy that I don't even need to try. But being vegan would be very hard for me. There are hardly any restaurants in my whole town that serve vegan meals, and my family eats out a lot. So due to my current living arrangements being vegan wouldn't be practical for me.

I believe other vegetarians who are not vegans would fall into one of three categories.

1. They are like me and believe in veganism and what it stands for, and would like to one day become vegan themselves but haven't so far due to complications/difficulties.

2. They know the truth about dairy farms etc but just don't care. Maybe they believe the suffering isn't as great for those animals, not compared to the ones physically slaughtered for meat.

3. They are uneducated about the truth of diary farms etc so feel there is no harm in eating eggs and drinking milk etc.

Also, vegetarianism is usually a stepping stone to veganism. Most people don't turn vegan straight away, but they are vegetarian first. And a lot of vegetarians go pescetarian first. It's sort of like stepping stones that people take.

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
A lot of it has to do with the motivation behind it. There are different reasons to be a vegetarian (health, avoiding cruelty to animals, etc), so the reasons to become a vegan might not entirely apply.

As Crouton implied, there's also the opportunity cost involved.

Recently I've been trying to eat healthier, but am not trying to eat healthy. I want the extra benefit of eating better, without the totality of sacrifice required to eat completely healthily. It's about diminishing marginal returns, to me.