• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games Valve is afraid of the number 3

dDave

V.I.P.
Few things are quite as noticeable in the entire gaming industry. Valve seems to be utterly afraid of making any game with the number 3 after it. They showed a long time ago that they had conquered their fear of the number 2 but it's taking them a while to get over 3.

Just look at this list.

Half Life
Half Life 2 (and episodes)
Team Fortress
Team Fortress 2
Portal
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2

They seem to be absolutely incredible at making games. Every game they make has that special touch from Valve that makes it great. They have also proven that they know how to make sequels.

Where are the third games though?

The Half Life story isn't over. Something tells me that the Portal story isn't over yet either. I haven't played Left 4 Dead yet, I assume that's the case with that series as well.

And of course, Team Fortress 2, a beloved classic. Imagine what Valve could do to multiplayer gaming if they made Team Fortress 3.

I can't help but wonder if Valve is waiting for the release of Source Engine 2 which will become the crowning achievement of graphics in video games. I think this engine will launch with Half Life 3 (one day, whenever it comes).

Thoughts?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Maybe they like to stop while they are ahead. When they have a really good thing they end it in it's Prime instead of having the possibility of making another game that can't live up to the previous ones. This is actually related to my thread about ending game franchises. So many devs just keep making more and more games and many of them are never as good as the first two.

dDave

V.I.P.
Maybe they like to stop while they are ahead. When they have a really good thing they end it in it's Prime instead of having the possibility of making another game that can't live up to the previous ones. This is actually related to my thread about ending game franchises. So many devs just keep making more and more games and many of them are never as good as the first two.
Yeah. That's not true of all franchises though.

Mass Effect 3 was incredible.
Super Mario Bros 3 is considered one of the greatest games ever made.
WarCraft III, don't even get me started, amazing.

I don't necessarily mind Valve waiting (even if they wait for a really long time), but they have stories that millions of fans are just dying to know about. They have the opportunity to do something great for the gaming industry in the near future. Nobody has games that are anticipated as highly as Valve. Can you imagine the chaotic celebrations when Half Life 3 is finally unveiled?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I know it's not true of all franchises, it just seems to be a large number of them do tend to decline in quality with the more games they make.

I haven't even played Half Life, but I know how many people want a third. I don't think they should make a Portal 3. Portal 2 was perfect and the ending wrapped up the story.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Sadly I've never played any of those games, but I think waiting a long time between sequels can be a great thing sometimes.

It was a seven year wait between A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time for the next console Zelda (Link's Awakening to OoT was five years even), and OoT was a masterpiece because it wasn't rushed and they had time to reinvent the series and build up massive hype.

It was eight years between Metroid games from Super Metroid to Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion. Prime was another masterpiece. Once they started churning out new games every couple years the series went downhill.

dDave

V.I.P.
Sadly I've never played any of those games, but I think waiting a long time between sequels can be a great thing sometimes.

It was a seven year wait between A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time for the next console Zelda (Link's Awakening to OoT was five years even), and OoT was a masterpiece because it wasn't rushed and they had time to reinvent the series and build up massive hype.

It was eight years between Metroid games from Super Metroid to Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion. Prime was another masterpiece. Once they started churning out new games every couple years the series went downhill.
I'm not saying that the wait isn't worth it, but it's strange that Valve releases two games in fairly quick succession and then we just don't hear anything at all about a third game.

That is what I love about Valve though. They put out consistent quality because they refuse to rush anything. If they don't consider a game to be perfect, they don't release it.

On the subject of Metroid. There was originally a Metroid 64 project but it got dumped due to the technical limitations of the N64. Feature: What Happened to Metroid 64? - Retro News @ Nintendo Life

The waiting between sequels definitely makes it look like they're creating the perfect game rather than milking the series.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I haven't played those games, except for Left4Dead and Left4Dead 2...I have to say that I vastly preferred the first one, although the addition of melee weapons in the 2nd one was awesome. I did not like all the new special infected, and I think the atmosphere and characters in the first were better. I only liked one of the characters in the 2nd, and that was the hillbilly. Can't remember his name.
Also, it's one of those games that is stand alone. The 2nd one mentioned characters from the first game during some dlc that came out long after the game did. The base game had nothing to do with the story of the first...not that there is much story to those games at all.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Didn't some info leak about Left 4 Dead 3?

I preferred the sequel. I liked everything better, aside from the characters.

I've played 6 of the games listed. I'd definitely like to play a half-Life 3 & a Left 4 Dead 3. I could care less about a Portal 3 though.

dDave

V.I.P.
I haven't played those games, except for Left4Dead and Left4Dead 2...I have to say that I vastly preferred the first one, although the addition of melee weapons in the 2nd one was awesome. I did not like all the new special infected, and I think the atmosphere and characters in the first were better. I only liked one of the characters in the 2nd, and that was the hillbilly. Can't remember his name.
Also, it's one of those games that is stand alone. The 2nd one mentioned characters from the first game during some dlc that came out long after the game did. The base game had nothing to do with the story of the first...not that there is much story to those games at all.
I haven't played Left 4 Dead but that's interesting to hear. I know Team Fortress doesn't have a story to follow (it's more of a setting in general). Portal and Half Life have plots that are separate and yet related (if that makes sense at all).

The Portal story is interesting. After finishing the first game you'd think the story is kind of over. The second game delivers an incredible story though. If they made a third game (which I'm sure they've considered), I'd expect a storyline that was just as good.

Didn't some info leak about Left 4 Dead 3?

I preferred the sequel. I liked everything better, aside from the characters.

I've played 6 of the games listed. I'd definitely like to play a half-Life 3 & a Left 4 Dead 3. I could care less about a Portal 3 though.
I had heard something about a possible leak on Source Engine 2. Also heard some stuff potentially concerning Half Life 3 (I'm sure it's just rumors).

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
The Valve "rule of three" is interesting but is more than likely a really strange coincidence. It would be hilarious if they didn't make a third for games on purpose because they wanted people to be more interested in their older game library every time a new detail leaks.

But, man, I really want Half-Life 2: Episode three. My heart is sad because we don't have the conclusion of the HL2 episodes yet.