• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Using Printer Thru a Wireless Router ???

ATARIGUY

Beermister
:dunno: I have a Netgear wireless router in my bedroom and a laptop computer in the kitchen and my best friends GF told me that I can operate the printer in my bedroom from my laptop thru the router and I was wondering if this is true and how do I set it all up ?? :confused:

Router Specs
NETGEAR N300 Wireless
WNR2000
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
2.4 GHz
Five (5) 10/100 (1 WAN and 4 LAN)
Ethernet ports with auto sensing technology

Printer Specs
Lexmark Z35

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
You really need to get a better printer. I've had two of the sameish printers and they're way too expensive to keep unless you're just printing text. I hated it when I had one.

Also, file and printer sharing is really complicated to do without knowing how many computers you're using on your network and what operating systems they have. That printer doesn't have a network port and it ups the difficulty of making it a netowrk printer. You'd have to have the printer and the computer its hooked up to on constantly for any other computer to be able to access it.

dDave

V.I.P.
You really need to get a better printer. I've had two of the sameish printers and they're way too expensive to keep unless you're just printing text. I hated it when I had one.

Also, file and printer sharing is really complicated to do without knowing how many computers you're using on your network and what operating systems they have. That printer doesn't have a network port and it ups the difficulty of making it a netowrk printer. You'd have to have the printer and the computer its hooked up to on constantly for any other computer to be able to access it.

And let's not forget that if you're trying to network a different operating system with Windows Vista then that won't work either. (I've never had success networking Windows XP or Windows 7 to Vista.)

But I recall you having Windows XP so that shouldn't be a huge stepping stone for you.

But steve is right, you would need to have the computer hooked up to another computer on the network in order for that to work and you would need to leave that computer on all the time.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
The network incompatibility was what I was getting at when I asked what OS's he was using. Trying to network Windows 7 with XP is a nightmare.

dDave

V.I.P.
The network incompatibility was what I was getting at when I asked what OS's he was using. Trying to network Windows 7 with XP is a nightmare.
But that one is doable, I have that configuration currently running on my setup, I have 7 computers running Windows 7 all linked together as well as one running XP. Then I have one with Vista that I can't connect to any of them, really annoying.

I think the main problem is with homegroups/networks and how apparently they are different which is just ridiculous it probably wouldn't fix the Vista problem though.