using Game consoles for profit

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by btdupree, Feb 5, 2008.

1. btdupree

btdupree New Member

Does anyone know if it is illegal to use game consoles for profit? What if I charged people to play my Xbox 360 or my PS3? What if I used it in a business and made profit off of them? Does anyone know the legality of this?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Like renting time for LAN parties and such? Yes it's illegal unless you pay a fee to Microsoft or whomever.

3. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Totally illegal. You could sell your 360 to someone else but not operate a business doing it without give a portion to MS.

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Yes it's definitely illegal to rent out Nintendo Wii's and stuff of the sort, you can either sell it or keep it those are pretty much your 2 basic options.

5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I could have sworn that I already posted in this thread and that there were a lot of replies.

Don't do it man it's completely illegal you can sell your consoles for profit but you can't rent them out, or you could just keep it.

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Get a hold of the company and see what they have to say about you using a console for your idea and what charges there would be.

7. Plantation_Boy

Plantation_Boy Registered Member

Scubas right you should ring up MS and ask about the details about renting off a 360.

8. VonDutch

VonDutch Registered Member

I think what these guys are talking about is differant then what you are. Who knows if its illegal to rent them out, but I think you asking, can they pay to play. I would definatly ask a legal rep. but my opinion is you would be okay. If you had a shop or your mom's basement with PS3/360's and allowed players to pay a few dollars and play your games, you should be okay. I think the loophole would be you arent charging them to play Xbox, you are charging them to enter your mom's basement, they can play Xbox for free, heck they could fold the laundry if they wanted....

9. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Chances are, it would be illegal to use your 360 to make a profit.

10. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

The legal stuff that comes with your console should say something to the effect of "For personal use only". There are fees you can pay to be able to use it commercially though. I just don't know where to look to find that info.

Not to mention the fact that the OP hasn't been back since he posted this. If anything this thread is only good for other people with the same question. I doubt the OP will read any of these replies now.