Useless stat: MLB Quality Start

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Millz, May 13, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

For those who don't know what the definition of a quality start is...please see below: (from wikipedia)

In baseball statistic, a quality start is awarded to a starting pitcher who completes at least six innings and permits no more than three earned runs.

The quality start might be the worst stat idea in the history of sports in my opinion. What is the point of this stat and why do we need it? So let's say you pitch 6 innings, walk 12 guys, throw 7 wild pitches, give up 10 hits but only 3 runs...that's a quality start folks...by definition.

I just hate it and think its useless.

Thoughts?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I know Baseball is a game of stats, but I agree this stat is useless. There's no reason to keep track of Quality Starts. I think fans should be the one who determines if a pitcher had a quality start or not. It's a matter of opinion.

3. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Is ERA also a useless stat? A pitcher who pitches 6 innings, walks 12 guys, throws 7 wild pitches, gives up 10 hits but only 3 runs has the same ERA as someone who walk 4 and gives up 5 hits and allows 3 runs in 6 innings.

4. Millz

ERA is probably the best factor to view a pitchers worth to a ballclub. Quality start is just something some dude in his basement made up while playing MLB the Show.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

A player with a quality start just means they had a 4.00 ERA or better. That's all it means. (3 runs in 6 innings = 4 runs per 9 innings)

6. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Yeah I gotta agree with Wade here. It's a way to gauge Wins/Losses and NO Decisions. If a pitcher doesn't have a ton of wins but every start is quality start then that means he's giving his team a chance to win it and he's not getting the run support.

QS is actually a great way to evaluate a pitcher.

Oh and Millz: It's pretty close to impossible for a pitcher to give out 12 walks 7 wild pitches and 10 hits, and only allow 3

7. Millz

Maybe they are awesome at getting out of log jams? You gotta believe!! :lol:

I might hate wins and losses as stats more then quality starts but we wont get into that. I mean the stat itself is fine but there are so many factors going into play they are out of the starters control like defense, hitting, and the bullpen. But yeah.

8. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Uhm...that's pretty much any pitching staff except strike outs, hpb, and walks. ERA's are as much a product of a solid defense as it is the pitcher.