USC: The End of an Era?

BigBob

Registered Member
Just with everything USC has gone through over the last year or so, with the coaching changes, the bans, the top recruits leaving to go to other schools.. you'd have thought because of how strong of a program they have that they would go through without problem because if you think about it, their 3rd stringers could be starters on another squad.. but after the Hawaii game, it makes you wonder.. is it over for them?

Stats that you'd never expect from a USC team against a WAC team:

Points Given Up: 36
Passing Yards: 459
Time of Possession: 32:07

Seriously? Against a Hawaii team? The best Hawaii team a few years ago got destroyed by Georgia, and that same Georgia team that IMO would've been destroyed by USC.

Now we're stuck watching a game that one mistake leads to 6 points off the board for USC and on the board for Hawaii, giving Hawaii possibly the biggest upset in school history.

USC's schedule:
@ Hawaii (W) 49-36
VS Virginia
@ Minnesota
@ Washington State
VS Washington
@ Stanford
VS California
VS Oregon #11
VS Arizona State
@ Arizona
@ Oregon State #24
VS Notre Dame
@ UCLA

If their defense continues to play as they did against Hawaii, I could foresee it ending like this.

VS Virginia (L)
@ Minnesota (W, possible upset)
@ Washington State (W)
VS Washington (L)
@ Stanford (L)
VS California (W, don't trust Cal's QB yet)
VS Oregon #11 (L)
VS Arizona State (L)
@ Arizona (L)
@ Oregon State #24 (L)
VS Notre Dame (L, possible upset of a ranked ND team though)
@ UCLA (W, great chance of a L.. but I see USC coming ending the season strong)

USC still has some of the greatest athlete's and prospects on their team, but the cloud of everything going on with Bush and the post-season ban seems that it will take a toll on the Trojans this year.

Zappa

Registered Member
The thing is, it was the first game of the season, so I'm sure there are some kinks to work out. They were prolific on offense though.

I can't see them losing that many games with so many talented athletes on that team. I'm guessing 8 or 9 wins, with a better season for Kiffin year 2.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Their defense really was terrible against Hawaii. The offense was unstoppable, though they were going up against an undersized Hawaii front line. It's not going to be the same USC we're used to seeing over the last eight years. I think they're probably going to struggle once Pac-10 play starts. You're kidding yourself if you think Minnesota is a possible upset. Did you see them against Middle Tennessee State the other night? They're bad.

BigBob

Registered Member
The thing is, it was the first game of the season, so I'm sure there are some kinks to work out. They were prolific on offense though.

I can't see them losing that many games with so many talented athletes on that team. I'm guessing 8 or 9 wins, with a better season for Kiffin year 2.
..but it's Hawaii. It doesn't matter if it's the first game, or a scrimmage in the summer. A team like USC can't give up yards and points like that against a team that bad.

Their defense really was terrible against Hawaii. The offense was unstoppable, though they were going up against an undersized Hawaii front line. It's not going to be the same USC we're used to seeing over the last eight years. I think they're probably going to struggle once Pac-10 play starts. You're kidding yourself if you think Minnesota is a possible upset. Did you see them against Middle Tennessee State the other night? They're bad.
Minnesota always gives someone trouble. Michigan State last year was one of the bigger ones. As I said though, I picked USC to win, but it's possible if they play like this again that Minnesota will beat them.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Michigan State is not USC. Minnesota's offense just isn't built to pick apart USC's secondary the way Hawaii's is. I really think USC will stomp them. Indiana, on the other hand, would give USC a game.

BigBob

Registered Member
Michigan State is not USC. Minnesota's offense just isn't built to pick apart USC's secondary the way Hawaii's is. I really think USC will stomp them. Indiana, on the other hand, would give USC a game.
Hawaii's offense isn't built to pick apart USC's defense. To me, a USC/Hawaii game is like a D-1A team playing a D-2 team. USC's defense isn't what it has been in years past this year, and they have a chance to go .500 this year IMO.

If USC is going to fall out of power, there is going to have to be another true power to emerge in the Pac-10. Like if Oregon can come out and just steamroll over everyone this year and the next, then I can see USC's powerhouse days start to fizzle out. But as it stands, USC is still the main school to go in the Pac-10. They will still get tons of exposure and NFL scouts will be swarming them. It will take a sustained USC nosedive and a sustained surge from another Pac-10 team to mark the end of USC's era.