• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

USB Connection

harleysneak

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wasn't sure where else to do it, so thought I'd try here. I have a Gateway laptop. Both of my USB connections have broken and will no longer work. I was wondering if there is a way they can be replaced. If so, can I do it myself or do I need to take it into someone? Also, does anyone know about how much that would cost? Thanks in advance for your help.

trick_r_treat

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wasn't sure where else to do it, so thought I'd try here. I have a Gateway laptop. Both of my USB connections have broken and will no longer work. I was wondering if there is a way they can be replaced. If so, can I do it myself or do I need to take it into someone? Also, does anyone know about how much that would cost? Thanks in advance for your help.
Harley, this is a great question! Believe it or not, I am having the same problem! This just happened a couple of days ago and it is very aggravating, because I can't print, among other things. But I would love to know what causes this.

Penguin

Registered Member
I KNOW you can get replacement USB ports for desktops, so I would think they would also be available for laptops. Have you tried calling Gateway? Are they still under warranty, by any chance?

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
You can find them, but replacing them is very difficult. They are probably sodered to the motherboard and would have to be removed and the new one sodered back on. If it is not done correctly, it can destroy the entire motherboard.

Thermal

Registered Member
You can try a USB PC Card:
Newegg link

If it is a software related issue, than you may have to recopy over the USB drivers from the XP CD, or another installation. I typically run UBCD4WIN on a machine, if it works in it, than its a software related issue.

jzan

If your computer is still under warranty, then ask the computer people to fix it. If it isn't then ask some shop to help.
First, just check, as said above, the software, and if it is installed properly.
Have you tried using USB stuffs on other computers? If so, then it might be something wrong with connection.

Reverend

Registered Member
If it is really a hardware problem (seems kind of strange unless you dropped the laptop, or something), then your best bet is going to be to get Gateway to fix it.

But you might just try reinstalling your USB drivers in the Device Manager first to see if that helps.

Pete