• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

USAF computer-killing weapon

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The head of the Air Force Research Laboratory has nominated Lockheed Martin’s stealthy, long-range Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile (JASSM-ER) as the optimal air vehicle to carry a new computer-killing electronic attack payload known as CHAMP, or Counter-electronics High-powered microwave Advanced Missile Project.

Major general Thomas Masiello says the technology, which fries electronic equipment with bursts of high-power microwave energy, is mature and will be miniaturised to suite the JASSM-ER.
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-missile-to-host-new-computer-killing-412348/

Now all they have to do is figure out a way to shield our computers from it so when the Russians or Chinese develop their own it won't take out our computers. Keep this knowledge top secret too.

Seems like lately our military has be developing all kinds of new weapons.

Thoughts?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Well since the tech is already posted in the media then China and Russia probaly already know all about it. China hacked our defense recently and stole information on our new weapons technologies and Russia was reading Obamas personal emails.

Other issues are missile detection, anti-missile systems (like the S-400), and special underground military complexes like NORAD. Those underground computers wouldnt be affected by the missile and its easy to protect above ground computers too.
Just disconnect the computers from landlines and let them run on backup systems before the EM pulse hits. If the computers are shielded by metal or even just by aluminum foil then they wont be affected.

It could be a useful weapon but only against 3rd world countries that havent already designed their defense systems to deal with EM pulses from a nuclear exchange. And tbh using that weapon would trigger a nuclear war if it was used against a developed nation.

Btw your new avatar is awesome! :cool:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
We spy on each other so much its a wonder if anything is kept a secret.

If its so easy to protect against it why waste money on it?

Thank you, was getting very tired of my old avatar.

Impaired

Registered Member
You need to stop thinking of the enemy being a country. These weapons have limited use - and are more devastating when used against unprotected civilian computers. Or against targets inside your own country.