[USA] The pledge of allegiance in schools?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Schools used to have students say the pledge of allegiance at many different events, and on a regular basis.

For some reason, enough people have decided that this is a violation of student's rights, so now, instead of saying the pledge of allegiance, students are given the "opportunity" to do so, but they are not required to.

After all, as an American citizen, living in America and enjoying the freedoms that we have here, no student should EVER have to actually pledge allegiance to such country. Why that would be a violation of their rights.

I was being somewhat sarcastic just now.. Seriously though, what is the big deal? I have a thought. It's called "Like it or leave it."

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Nobody should ever be forced to say the pledge of allegiance, but I don't really get why they do it in schools in the first place. Seems almost like brainwashing to me.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

They aren't forced to say it. But there isn't even an opportunity to say it anymore.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

"A house divided against itself cannot stand" - Abraham Lincoln

the pledge of allegiance is a statement that we will be a united nation. Surely we are not so divided a nation that we cannot agree on that simple idea.

5. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

I'm still in school and we have the option of saying the pledge every morning. Teachers are required by law to say it however.

What I don't get is the people who say that the words, "under God" offend them. Many religions have Gods, and even if they don't believe in a God, how does saying it offend them. I'm pretty sure they just like to argue ab out silly things.

Basically, my opinion is who cares if we have to say the pledge?

And by the way, America is a house divided against itself. Maybe not on the major issues, but on most issues. I'm pretty sure Lincoln was referring to things such as slavery.

6. hamletssoulmate

hamletssoulmate New Member

And you can bet your bottom dollar (apt phrase, and I'm not even American*) that all these people say 'Oh my god!' as a casual expression of surprise or anger in everyday life.

*But did live in New York for four years

7. Hi_Im_Tim

Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

I think that if kids are in public schools, which are paid for by the government, they should say the pledge of allegiance, or go find a private school.

8. CaliforniaSteve

CaliforniaSteve Registered Member

Meh, to hell with that. Our taxes help with that little cost as well. I never said the pledge, and got in trouble often for not saying it.

9. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

Students can no longer be required to say the pledge. But I know teachers can get in a lot of trouble for not saying it.

One thing I've noticed is that most students and other people from other countries who migrate here are all for saying the pledge of allegiance.

10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Where does the government's money come from? Kids should never be required to say the pledge of allegiance. This isn't some dictatorship. Nobody has to support their country. Most kids probably don't even know what the pledge stands for. I sure as hell didn't when I was saying it in first and second grade.